What's new

Should I buy a Surface Pro 3?

kristalsoldier

The point isn't that I can't type adequately fast on the type keyboard, I can. However as in many things, once we get used to something better, it's hard to be satisfied with something sub-par again. If you are coming from the typical rubber-dome keyboard of today, then the type cover isn't too different. If you generally use a Thinkpad keyboard or a full mechanical one, then it leaves a lot to be desired.

Again, this is as much about how I feel using it long-term rather than how effective it is. A high dpi screen doesn't help me be more productive either, but I'd sure hate to go back from them.

I've thought about buying the portable Thinkpad keyboard, but at that point the entire device becomes as heavy as my Thinkpad, significantly less powerful, and more unwieldy. The point of making a better keyboard optional is that not everyone would want it, but there has been a significant movement back towards better keyboards recently. Microsoft should recognize this.

Wait a sec...I am coming from a ThinkPad X201 and I struggled with Lenovo to replace the Chicony KB that came with the machine to get an NMB fitted into it. This got the Lenovo design people in China and the country Managing Director involved in the case. They were very gracious about it. But that's not really the point - the point is that I am very familiar with ThinkPad keyboards and experience a very high level of comfort using them. I now use the SP3 and find that the Type Cover has a different experience, but not one that can be belittled. But then again, this is a personal observation and experience so it will, most likely, not apply to anyone else.

DutchYee

Me as a system engineer i can say its a good product on the go. Work wherever you are and you want. The price is high but really worth!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
For me, the Surface Pro 3 was worth saving and sacrificing the money.

When it comes to computing, "Should I Buy A Surface Pro 3?" is like asking "Should I eat healthier food?". It is expensive, and takes sacrifice, but good things happen.

My 14 year old types 120 words per minute on the Type Cover, he types 120 words per minute on his full size keyboard, he has no problem between the two. My wife has written all of her doctorate papers either of the Type Cover 2 or Type Cover 3. I use the Type Cover to write Technical Whitepapers, Reference Architectures and other technical papers.

The whole Type Cover isn't a good typing experience is rubbish...

See, here's the thing: not everyone can type 120 words per minute. I'd say the majority of users type waaaayyyy slower than that. I suppose with practise anything's possible, but give an SP3 and the type cover to the average user that doesn't have 1000's of posts on an SP3 forum, and knows little to nothing about computers besides the fact that there's macs on one side, and pcs on the other, and I'll bet the first thing they notice about the SP3 typecover, is that its rubbish compared to a MacBook air keyboard, or the traditional windows laptop keyboard they've been using for years...

You're able to make the most of an inferior product - not everyone can do that.

ChrisPanzer

Speaking of the keyboard, I would really like to know what's inside this thing. It feels like a piece of currogated cardboard.

If anyone has a bunk Sp3 typecover and has no use for it, Im all for seeing it's innards! Rip it up and post the pics!

Does anyone else constantly have issues with the spacebar when typing fast?? I Dont miss it, but for some reason it doesn't send the space command, bc I am pressing the edge of it. hoohum,...

wynand32

Did I really spy a keyboard debate in here? Folks, come on, that's like debating which ice cream flavor is the best. ;)

Seriously, keyboards are about as personal as anything gets in technology. What works for one person can be the worst thing in the world for another, and vice versa. And, preferences can even change--I used to prefer old-school mechanical keyboards, but as years of typing and carpal tunnel issues have taken their toll, I've started preferring chicklet keyboards with very light touches.

Personally, I find the SP3 Type Cover keyboard to be just fine, if not the best-ever experience, as far as feel and action are concerned--and it's remarkable give how thin and light it is and how it lends such incredible flexibility to the device. I don't prefer my MacBook Air keyboard, which used to be my favorite, but I'll admit that when I pull out the MBA and start typing, I can recognize the sheer quality of its keyboard.

So, while I personally like the Type Cover, I can certainly understand how someone could hate it and would never debate which is "better." Better for me, maybe, but that's as far as I'll go.

Oh, and while we're at it: it's chocolate. By a country mile.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
See, here's the thing: not everyone can type 120 words per minute. I'd say the majority of users type waaaayyyy slower than that. I suppose with practise anything's possible, but give an SP3 and the type cover to the average user that doesn't have 1000's of posts on an SP3 forum, and knows little to nothing about computers besides the fact that there's macs on one side, and pcs on the other, and I'll bet the first thing they notice about the SP3 typecover, is that its rubbish compared to a MacBook air keyboard, or the traditional windows laptop keyboard they've been using for years...

You're able to make the most of an inferior product - not everyone can do that.
He didn't need to learn anything.... he just took to it. But that is the beauty of the product and is exactly why they don't bundle the Cover, because there are people who want to use other keyboards.

Unless you've actually done a usability study with a large cross section of users (Which the Surface Team has done) you can only bring in your anidotical opinion, We've deployed 60 SP3's now replacing ThinkPad Laptops and not one user has complained about the Type Cover.

DutchYee

Speaking of the keyboard, I would really like to know what's inside this thing. It feels like a piece of currogated cardboard.

If anyone has a bunk Sp3 typecover and has no use for it, Im all for seeing it's innards! Rip it up and post the pics!

Does anyone else constantly have issues with the spacebar when typing fast?? I Dont miss it, but for some reason it doesn't send the space command, bc I am pressing the edge of it. hoohum,...

I can tell you no to have no problems at all. I am typing weekly big documents of 20+ pages. Verry fast and totally no problems. The space bar works perfectly

kiwigirl

I love the SP3 keyboard, I find it amazing to type on mainly because the keys are so short for travel distance resulting in absolutely zero strain on the fingers.

I could never go back to a traditional laptop again.

kiwigirl

View attachment 5146

I use this keyboard because I need to do work in Portrait mode. It is one of the best typing keyboards that I have ever used. And it is backlit too.

I have that same keyboard at home on my desk. I use it on my SP3 when at the desk and use it on my PS4. Its awesome cause one button to switch back and fourth between the devices. I also use the same keyboard at work.