What's new

Should i buy the i7 for this price?

Chrome

I know the SP5 is on the horizon but i'm pretty sure i can't get the i7 version when it comes out for a price thats near the sp4 i7 8b nowadays so i guess i should go for the SP4. I can buy the SP4 i7 8GB + TypeCover ( 150 ) + JBL Charge 3 ( 179 ) for 1.499 euros. I have no need for the JBL Charge 3 so i can possibly sell that to someone.

Is this a good price or should i wait a little longer for better deals?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait till the sp5 comes out imo. Stores will want rid of old stock, better deals will be available i reckon.

OP
C

Chrome

Wait till the sp5 comes out imo. Stores will want rid of old stock, better deals will be available i reckon.

But there is a big chance i will have to wait until October right? I don't know if i can wait that long lol.. decisions decisions...

pintapinta

I would go for sp4 with these good deals. I did myself get sp4 i5 4gb model for 799 euros. Btw, which store is having above mentioned deal? Ps. If sp5 is going to have AMD processor as per rumours, you are gonna be happy with i7 version.

pintapinta

Was taking mine back to store after 3 weeks. Battery just did not have enough juice. It was lasting 4 - 5 hours depending on use. Will now wait for SP5 and hope they have 10 hours battery.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was taking mine back to store after 3 weeks. Battery just did not have enough juice. It was lasting 4 - 5 hours depending on use. Will now wait for SP5 and hope they have 10 hours battery.

"depending on use" is the key term there. I'm sure that the SP5 will also result in 4-5 hours depending on use. I get 10 hours on my SP4 due to my usage scenario. Every manufacturers battery life claim, be it apple, microsoft, dell, anyone, is based on a very specific criteria chosen because it will look good for the product. that's why you should always read reviews which go beyond specifications and single tests, but offer statistics across multiple scenarios be it web browsing, video consumption, gaming etc.

Look at the ipad pro as an example
  • Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi‐Fi, watching video or listening to music
Use the ipad pro for any "pro" use case, and suddenly the battery claim means absolutely nothing.

pintapinta

I get 10 hours on my SP4 due to my usage scenario.
Are you listening podcasts while screen is off? ;) I could never get over 5 hours battery life even just only browsing web with backlight (25%), battery saver on, bluetooth off, only wifi on. Probably mine was broken or something...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you listening podcasts while screen is off? ;) I could never get over 5 hours battery life even just only browsing web with backlight (25%), battery saver on, bluetooth off, only wifi on. Probably mine was broken or something...

I am using Microsoft office (PowerPoint, word, one note), SPSS, and the occasional use of chrome with tablet set to never turn screen off or go to sleep (battery saver on to stop it downloading and installing updates in the background). I've never used it for ten hours straight, but per hour i witness between 9 and 11% drain.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know the SP5 is on the horizon but i'm pretty sure i can't get the i7 version when it comes out for a price thats near the sp4 i7 8b nowadays so i guess i should go for the SP4. I can buy the SP4 i7 8GB + TypeCover ( 150 ) + JBL Charge 3 ( 179 ) for 1.499 euros. I have no need for the JBL Charge 3 so i can possibly sell that to someone.

Is this a good price or should i wait a little longer for better deals?

If you have taken a look around the forums here - you will see that the Surface Pro 4 has had it's share of issues. I myself recently had an issue (Screen Flickering) - but got a replacement within a few days. With that said - if you wait on the Surface Pro 5 - who know's what type of issues it will have and how long it will take for Microsoft to hammer those out. So with the vast majority of the Surface Pro 4 issues ironed out - I highly recommend purchasing one now. I ran out like a moron with a pocketful of money and bought mine the moment they hit the shelf (Wooo-Hooo!!!) - Spent almost $2000 on mine. If you can get one for around $1000 or less - Then I say - heck yes, grab it!

I will be giving my Surface Pro 4 away later this year to a family member who loves technology almost as much I do. However, I don't think I will be buying another Microsoft product for awhile. I have seen that other manufacturers are making products that either beat the Surface Pro 4 / 5 in price or hardware specs, or they closely match all the way around. If I am going to pay as much for a machine as a used car - I want it to perform for at least 5 years without issues.

Anyhow - let us know what you decide on please. I am and always will be a Surface Pro 4 enthusiast.