What's new

Should I buy the Surface Book?

baydude

I have a Surface Pro 3 64GB i3 and it's not powerful enough for my daily use in web/app development, vmware running linux/osx, light gaming, graphic design, ms office,etc all on the go. I want to get the SB i5 256gb but with all the issues noted in the past few months I'm concerned. Have most of these issues been fixed or will there be a path to fix these reported issues as of March 2016?

Dblkk

If your sp3 isn't powerful enough, a sb isn't going to fix that. Even with gpu option, your only gaining AT BEST acceleration from it, you'll still need the power to drive that acceleration.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I believe a Surface Book is indeed a good option. My i7/16/512 is my production geophysics machine, and travels with me around the world. Window 10 has improved much since September, 2015, and Surface Book drivers are also much better.

I also have a Surface Pro 3 i7/512, from which I'm writing to you now. The Surface Book runs circles around the SP3 at the same tasks.

OP
B

baydude

If your sp3 isn't powerful enough, a sb isn't going to fix that. Even with gpu option, your only gaining AT BEST acceleration from it, you'll still need the power to drive that acceleration.

Well when I say light gaming, I don't play any newer graphic intensive games like Crysis. I only play Starcraft 2 and Counter Strike GO which runs on my SP3 but very slow. Gaming is probably the least of my priorities.

I need more space, ram, faster processing, and I like the bigger screen and weight of the SB. It seems to fit my needs but I'm just concerned about all the reported issues more so than whether it'll play games like Crysis well or not, although I think the added GPU is a plus.

Dblkk

Gpu is an added bonus, but it's 'like' a 940m spec wise, maybe a bit lower. With thermal throttling, I'd say that it'd 'game' like a gtx 930m. So if you use that against a review showing game play stats for using a 930m

OP
B

baydude

Well I just bit the bullet and ordered one. Keeping my fingers crossed that most of the bugs will be resolved soon.

Dblkk

Well if you know capabilities going in, I'm sure you'll be very happy. I'm also sure most of the bugs are fixed now, and those that aren't Microsoft is working on. I had bugs for first year almost on my sp3 and loved it reguardless. Great devices they are.

mikegriffin84

Gpu is an added bonus, but it's 'like' a 940m spec wise, maybe a bit lower. With thermal throttling, I'd say that it'd 'game' like a gtx 930m. So if you use that against a review showing game play stats for using a 930m
The Surface Book does not throttle at all. It gets full 940m performance all of the time. This has to do with the design of the surface book, since the GPU is separate from the other heat generating components it doesn't throttle.