What's new

should I install 8.1 preview now?

ultra99

Just got my surface pro today, should I install 8.1 now or wait 2 months?

I've been using 8.1 on my laptop since its release and find no problems.

Arizona Willie

If you enjoy re-installing everything, then go ahead :)

I'm waiting until I see if the retail version requires a complete fresh install like Windows 8 did.
If so I will probably stay with plain 8.

If it will install over Windows 8 then I will go to 8.1.

OP
U

ultra99

I remember I read that the retail would be available on store and we wont need to install apps if it's over 8, but if over 8.1 preview we'll need to reinstall apps.

Russ

. . . if over 8.1 preview we'll need to reinstall apps.

Ultra99 --

To say "reinstall apps" makes it sound too easy. I have not installed 8.1 on either my Pro or that of my Ladyfriend, because we both have significant "legacy apps" installed, and re-installing them is a lot of work -- especially with the need for validations, etc. I have 8.1 running on a desktop machine in my shop, but for the two Pros, I'll wait for the real thing.

Regards,
Russ

Endorsay

Just got my surface pro today, should I install 8.1 now or wait 2 months?

I've been using 8.1 on my laptop since its release and find no problems.

I thought 8.1 Preview was good and was working well for around 2 months, and then suddenly the Store stopped working and my network goes in-out. I don't see any pressing need for 8.1 Preview over 8.0; I think the risks to 8.1 Preview outweigh any of its benefits over 8.0.

machistmo

Yep. 8 to 8.1 live will be transparent. 8.1 preview to live will involve reloading apps and software. For me, I went ahead with the preview as Windows 8 was really starting to irritate me no end. 8.1 is at least a little better. Nobody is ever going to be able to explain to me MS's choice to release Windows 8 in the state it was and when it did, EVER.... NEVER. Good god thinking, educated people were behind the whole thing too. Boggles the brain.

Deryl McCarty

I have a SP128 and installed 8.1 preview when in came out. Pretty smooth in my case. Then last month when Enterprise 8.1 Preview came out I installed that. A little less smooth, but none-the-less the OS worked fine. Then, like Endorsay, everything started failing at once - probably 30 days after install: limited connections, then not, then limited; freeze ups that only a restart would cure, then only a power off, start would work, then evew3n full power on would not turn on my SP. I did get a "beep code" like light flashing just inside the case by the power on button and always the same flash sequence (long, 3 short, 1 short, 4 short, one short, repeat). So I bit the bullet and reloaded 8.0 from scratch, I even did a kill disk to wipe EVERYTHING to DOD standards. The Win 8 Pro (x64) went on from a MSDN download direct to the boot and everything went smoothly.

On reflection, the difference that I saw between the preview versions and the standard, was not in the OS which seemed stable, but in the "preview" drivers which did not seem stable. I will now wait patiently for 8.1 official release along with the drivers (especially the Avastar350 wlan, firmware and chipset drivers). I know I took a risk when I installed the preview versions and I knew full well that the drivers in particular would be problematic. That said, it would appear that the Marvell Avastar 350n driver for 8.1 whose driver number I cannot recall but know that its third set of numbers in a series that is 14.xxx.yZZZZ, y=2. That driver is not ready for prime time.

But now all is well and my SP is humming along flawlessly. The good thing for me is that all of my stuff is saved to SkyDrive and more importantly to the 64 GB SDXC. I lost no data or apps, just a little bit of time. oh, a great lesson about beta products. On the other hand, I will still install MS beta products....what can I say, I am addicted. Sigh

machistmo

Ultra99 --

To say "reinstall apps" makes it sound too easy. I have not installed 8.1 on either my Pro or that of my Ladyfriend, because we both have significant "legacy apps" installed, and re-installing them is a lot of work -- especially with the need for validations, etc. I have 8.1 running on a desktop machine in my shop, but for the two Pros, I'll wait for the real thing.

Regards,
Russ

See the thinking is that eventually everything will be metro and this will be less of an issue... Eventually... Now on the other hand...

EMINENT

Got the full English retail 8.1 loaded on the pc and desktop.

Awesome. Had to reload apps though. Much better with full release and sync services. New wallpapers are there along with new features.

demandarin

I think I will wait for official release. I'm babying this device..lol I won't do like my android tablets and go flashing new firmware and such. Device is too expensive for me plus I need to get more comfortable with it first. Riskiest move I did with my pro was install Intel generic drivers which makes graphics control panel work...lol I'm a noob on this platform but I learn fast. Trying to approach this device differently than android. I'm already thinking about overclocking, undervolting, etc...smh

I saw a YouTube vid. Showing all new features of the build. Seems really nice and they listened to consumer on features wanted.

OP
U

ultra99

I'm went with the preview as I used it on my ThinkPad once it was released. Now I'm going to install the RTM. :D