What's new

Should I Purchase RT?

Jglnaz372

Hey J5150P. No argument here on your points but I think you nailed what I feel, in my opinion, is the problem. Windows RT looks and acts like Windows 8, but it is not, sort of? That is the problem I have. I wished it was called something else. Let me explain.
Most of my friends are not tech types at all. They use their smartphones, computers at work, etc, but could care less how much ram or disk space it has. I think you get the picture. I always use the analogy of driving a car. You honestly do not have to know anything about what makes a car work to enjoy it and use it to make your life better. Unless it breaks down! Lol. They see their smartphones as just that, a phone that surfs the net, navigates, plays music. Many of them seem to lump tablets, laptops, desktops into one group. They see windows on the box and they just assume it is what is on their work or home pc. RT to them, in all seriousness, they thought was like Windows Home, Windows Pro, just a cheaper or more expensive OS with different amounts of included software beyond the OS. And like you said many of them are too lazy to look stuff up and rely on the store employee to help them which can be good or bad.
That is where I felt in my previous statement that Windows has not really done a good job in explaining RT vs. Regular Windows OS. The future Blue update seems to address this so my non tech friends can go buy something and hopefully, easily, buy what they want and understand if it is limited in what it can, or cannot use in software, whether it be apps,or the traditional software we have been using for so many years.
Hope I cleared up my previous thoughts. At least we agree on one thing that the Surface is a great tablet and hopefully the future rumors of a smaller and updated Surface hardware will happen later this year.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
To some degree there will always be confusion. I guarantee that to this day there are people who think that an iPad will also run Windows! :starstruck:

bosamar

Windows RT looks and acts like Windows 8, but it is not, sort of? That is the problem I have. I wished it was called something else.... Most of my friends are not tech types at all.
I agree with your analogy. This point has been made numerous times in the forum (my post is not criticism). I'd have a very difficult time explaining the difference between the RT and Pro to my mother. I think I'd even actually recommend an iPad to my mother instead of an RT. IMO iPads are more tech-challenged-friendly.

Russ

IMO iPads are more tech-challenged-friendly.

Bosamar --

Well said. Even my granddaughters (8 & 10) can pick up an iPad and find something to do with it. In fact, I have an iPad1 that needs a home, but I don't want to give it to them, because they're both bright, and I don't want them to acquire lazy habits. I also have an RT that needs a home, so I may let them share it so they can exercise a little intellect.

Regards,
Russ

bosamar

Well said. Even my granddaughters (8 & 10) can pick up an iPad and find something to do with it. In fact, I have an iPad1 that needs a home, but I don't want to give it to them, because they're both bright, and I don't want them to acquire lazy habits. I also have an RT that needs a home, so I may let them share it so they can exercise a little intellect.
I've still got my iPadv1. Could never decide to upgrade it, then last summer Microsoft announced the RT and I knew I'd wait for it. One of the BEST tech decisions I ever made. IMO in the majority of cases tech-challenged: buy an iPad. Young up-and-comers: Surface. I certainly do agree you must challenge them!

OP
A

Aliasalias

J5150P: That's the best explanation of "apps" & "legacy apps" that I've seen. THANK YOU!!!

I had thought that "apps" were special mini-programs designed for smart phones. And that these "apps" performed select functions -- like help you find the closest Starbucks based on your current location, check the traffic on the freeway, or that allowed you to share your phone photos with friends, etc.

Hence my confusion when the term "apps" was used in reference to computers. And that you had to go to an "apps store" to get these "apps."

I'm used to being able to download (for free) all sorts of programs from the web (FileZilla, GIMP, Irfanview, Notepad ++, etc.) and had no idea what role the "apps store" played. And the name "store" implies that you have to buy them.

But your explanation that they're simply what used to be called "programs" goes a long way in clearing up that confusion. And that because Windows RT is a slimmed down version of a full operating system, you can't simply download programs but have go to the "apps store" to find versions of these programs that the vendors/software companies have created especially for the RT operating system.

Don't know if I'm the only (clueless) one who didn't realize that the terms "RT" and "Pro" refer to BOTH software (i.e. operating systems, as in Windows RT and Windows Pro), and hardware (i.e. Surface RT, Surface Pro). Somehow I missed that in all the research I've been doing.

Ok, I think I'm confident that RT is perfect for me -- a travel tablet/laptop that is cheap(ish), lightweight, with decent battery life, and able to perform the most important "core" functions that I need. Anything else I can do on my full-fledged desktop.

I've priced it out on Amazon as follows:
Option 1: Surface RT 32 GB $486, Touch Cover (blue) $100, MicroSD card (64 GB) $55. Total = $641.
Option 2: Surface RT w/ 64 GB & black Touch Cover is $750.
Think I'll go with Option 1.

One more question: How good is the sound quality of the speakers for RT? I usually play my music into the room (as opposed to wearing headphones); would like a decent audio experience.

kristalsoldier

@Aliasalias (OP)...

Your last question: Sounds quality on the Surface RT. While I am not a connoisseur of sound, I think the Surface sound is OK - nothing to write home about (when listening over the in-built speakers, which is your stated use scenario). That said, I use it in that way quite often (primarily listening to jazz, electronic etc.). It works fine for my purposes, but that is usually when I am working. YMMV.

As for your original question - should you opt for the Surface? Based on what you have described, I think you should give it a try. However, if you are opting for the RT version, then be aware of the limitations that J5150P, Bosamar and others have pointed out. As for Notepad++, I wonder if the following would be of any help: Code Writer for Windows 8 on Great Windows Apps (this should work on Win/ Surface RT and is available in the MS App store).

I use the Surface RT all the time - indeed, for about 8 hours a day and it has saved me from carrying my heavy ThinkPad around. I find the Surface RT to be a very productive companion device, which addresses most, if not all, my mobile computing needs. Yes, there are some things that you will have to learn (like how to re-appreciate IE in your case :>))! And, you will also have to get used to some of the quirks of Win 8 in general and of the RT version of Win 8, in particular.

You will find the build quality of the Surface to be excellent. It is light and svelte to carry around. Personally, I prefer the TYPE keyboard (since I input a lot of text) and have never seen or used the TOUCH keyboard. I also got myself a MS Wedge Mouse (details here: Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse - though I bought it off Amazon where I think it is cheaper) to give myself some options. I also bought and installed a 64GB MicroSD card and use Skydrive extensively which, for the most part, takes care of my storage needs.

Good luck with your choice and do post your reactions if and when you get the Surface.

Cheers!

OP
A

Aliasalias

kristalsoldier:
Thanks for the link for the Code Writer for Windows. I'm not particularly wedded to Notepad ++, Tidy, Kompozer, or any of the other programs I've been using, other than I've been using them for several years now and have become familiar with their quirks. But am willing to try something else, as long as it gets the job done.

Thanks also for your opinion on RT speakers. A lot of time, I just want some background music, but have found I cannot abide "fuzzy" sounding speakers. Maybe it's the music I listen to -- mostly classical, which might be more exacting.

Am excited about getting a Surface, at long last. Have to admit, I've been inflicted with a serious case of tablet lust ever since I found out about it! Won't be for a few weeks though (have to wait til clients pay up!)

Will let you know how it works for me.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Thanks also for your opinion on RT speakers. A lot of time, I just want some background music, but have found I cannot abide "fuzzy" sounding speakers. Maybe it's the music I listen to -- mostly classical, which might be more exacting.

To just add a little more here, the Surface speakers are on par with an average non-entertainment laptop speaker or very similar in sound to what you hear from the speaker on most smart phones these days (although in stereo on the RT). The good news is bluetooth speakers are plentiful and relatively inexpensive for their performance if you decide to supplement the sound quality by going this route.