What's new

Should I wait for the Surface Pro 3 or not?

kristalsoldier

What I'm saying is part of the success of a device is the accessories available from 3rd parties, making everything that is out now incompatible would be negative with Enterprise Customers. Also the thinner would force them to use "Y" Variants of the Core CPU rather than the "U" Variants which would impact performance. I think we'll see much more innovation on the ARM side then the Intel Side.

OK. But wouldn't the same problems with the ARM variant remain - inability to use x86 programs? At least if MS includes an active digitiser and a pen to the Surface 3 RT, then that would be something.

oion

OK. But wouldn't the same problems with the ARM variant remain - inability to use x86 programs? At least if MS includes an active digitiser and a pen to the Surface 3 RT, then that would be something.

Careful, that's like saying the inability of a subcompact automobile to go off-roading is a "problem."

The only problem is buying the wrong product for one's use case. So long as Microsoft always maintains a solid version of Office on Windows RT, that covers a significant fraction of users.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The need of legacy software is becoming a less of an issue as we move towards more and more WinRT Apps becoming available, especially as Universal Apps become the norm. It is in MS best interest to move Windows forward away from Win32 backwards compatibility because of issues like these:

Can't instal MS Works suite 6 on surface pro 2 - Microsoft Community

This user bought into the marketing that said we can run the exact software they were using on their old computer.

As far as the digitizer is concerned, the actual usage is quite small even on the Android side.... do I want to see it, of course I use ink all the time, but I doubt its a deal breaker.

revmike

I don't know why that person had a problem installing the software, but I installed both Microsoft Works Suite 2002 and Louts SmartSuite 2002 without a problem on my Surface Pro 2.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure, but it isn't the first complaint I've seen about trying to install legacy software on Windows 8.x.

kristalsoldier

The need of legacy software is becoming a less of an issue as we move towards more and more WinRT Apps becoming available, especially as Universal Apps become the norm. It is in MS best interest to move Windows forward away from Win32 backwards compatibility because of issues like these:

Can't instal MS Works suite 6 on surface pro 2 - Microsoft Community

This user bought into the marketing that said we can run the exact software they were using on their old computer.

As far as the digitizer is concerned, the actual usage is quite small even on the Android side.... do I want to see it, of course I use ink all the time, but I doubt its a deal breaker.

Be that as it may, I am discovering that my work requires that I need some inking capability, which is why I am currently investigating this for my desktop machine and would also like to have it on my mobile device (be it the Surface or some other brand).

Edit: And despite the fondness that I have for the Win RT platform (in the form of the Surface), I have recognized the fact that some software will either not be available on that platform, or will take a long time to be available. It would be a shame if I had to change systems because of one or two software applications, but increasingly it is appearing that I may just have to do that.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I guess when know more soon, I heard rumor that there is an MS Press Event in New York coming up at the end of May, the Surface Gen 2 launch was in New York last September so we'll see what they have planned.

kristalsoldier

Not sure if this has already been mentioned as I skimmed the thread, but if you don't already have a NUS card get one before you buy your Surface!

It'll cost you £12 but then you can save 10% off all Surface devices through the MS Student Store: Shop Students save on Surface | Microsoft Store United Kingdom

So that's a 128GB Surface Pro 2 for £719, or the normal price of the 64GB version!

Yeah...but that would not work for academics, would it?

M_Taylor40

The OP said they were starting university in September so they will be eligible, but to answer your question, the NUS card option wouldn't work for faculty\staff, but if you have an .ac.uk email address you can use that to authenticate your account for the student/academic discount.

If you go onto one of the student surface pages, under the price it should say: "This academic offer for eligible students, faculty, and staff requires verification of eligibility prior to purchase. Limit five (5) copies of this item per 12-month period."

I'm sure that you can even provide an email\phone\address for the institution to be verified if you don't have a NUS card or .ac.uk email, obviously need permission from the institution for that route though.

kristalsoldier

The OP said they were starting university in September so they will be eligible, but to answer your question, the NUS card option wouldn't work for faculty\staff, but if you have an .ac.uk email address you can use that to authenticate your account for the student/academic discount.

If you go onto one of the student surface pages, under the price it should say: "This academic offer for eligible students, faculty, and staff requires verification of eligibility prior to purchase. Limit five (5) copies of this item per 12-month period."

I'm sure that you can even provide an email\phone\address for the institution to be verified if you don't have a NUS card or .ac.uk email, obviously need permission from the institution for that route though.

Ah...that's how I got my Office 365 discount - using that very option!