What's new

Should install anti-virus on Surface Pro 4?

minhsuke

Should install anti-virus on Surface Pro 4? Can you give me advice? If installed, I installed Kaspersky Internet Security is not ?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say it depends on whether you consider yourself a safe internet browser.

I am smart enough to not click on the first links i see so have always been able to get by with just windows defender without any viruses etc. I periodically run a dedicated virus program and it always comes up clean.

stammie

I would consider myself a safe browser like hughfile but because its so lightweight I still install Panda free.
If I was to go for a paid anti virus I'd choose Webroot which I used to use when I had it free for a couple of years for the same reasons its very lightweight and doesn't hog resources or take over your pc.

OP
M

minhsuke

I thank everyone. I often use word, excel and used to copy data usb should I fear in the process of using usb virus .

fletch33

i use Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and Anti-Malware and for years i have had no issues. i also try to be a safe user.

Compusmurf

I am NOT a safe person. Part of my job is research on security vulnerabilities, which takes me to some less than desirable places. I use vpn, firewall, av, and malware tools. No matter how safe you think you are, your chances are still very high of getting hit. No matter what you choose, remember, backups are your only true friend.

jtcb

I asked the same question in another thread but got no answer. I will ask here. Do I need to worry about anti-virus, hacker, and internet security as I would on a desktop PC? Is there any free and reliable program out there? Does Windows 10 has its own security program?

malberttoo

I asked the same question in another thread but got no answer. I will ask here. Do I need to worry about anti-virus, hacker, and internet security as I would on a desktop PC? Is there any free and reliable program out there? Does Windows 10 has its own security program?

1 Yes
2 Yes, there's one mentioned in this thread, and a quick forum (or Google) search will give all the info you could want.
3 Yes, but I don't trust it, unless you are a very cautious and discriminating web surfer.

gtmead09

So as a test, I wanted to go back to just Windows Defender. I was originally using AVG when I first loaded my surface 4. My battery life seems to have jumped since the removal of AVG. Not sure 100% since its only been 24 hrs, but FYI as something to try.