What's new

Should We Be Concerned?

MSurfaceWA

I preface this with the fact that I love the Surface and I understand the RT approach. I prefer a small unit with longer battery life and don't need a full desktop OS. That being said, should we be concerned that both Samsung and ACER have decided not to make RT tablets right off the bat and wait for customer response? My only concern is how this will affect app developers.

Samsung
Samsung confirms no Windows RT tablets for US markets, blames tepid retail demand

ACER
Acer delays Windows RT tablets as it gauges Surface acceptance

compnovo

I preface this with the fact that I love the Surface and I understand the RT approach. I prefer a small unit with longer battery life and don't need a full desktop OS. That being said, should we be concerned that both Samsung and ACER have decided not to make RT tablets right off the bat and wait for customer response? My only concern is how this will affect app developers.

Samsung
Samsung confirms no Windows RT tablets for US markets, blames tepid retail demand

ACER
Acer delays Windows RT tablets as it gauges Surface acceptance

Truth be told, any early adopter should be "concerned" since we're sailing uncharted waters. It's always a possibility that the devices we purchased and the OS they came with will go the way of the Zune.
I knew this going in so I don't let it worry me. I know that Microsoft will support the hardware and software regardless of what happens in the future, and I am extremely happy with the Surface RT. Just as I am with my Windows Phone 7. :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
The links aren't working. In any case I think these guys are overplaying their hands. MS intentionally limited its partners for Windows RT and ACER wasn't even a launch partner.

Nvidia & ASUS/Lenovo

Texas Instruments & Toshiba

Qualcom & Samsung/HP

HP pulled out prior to launch because they have a ton of other problems they are dealing with. Meanwhile, Samsung has been on a tear pushing its own chips (Exynos) lately and it isn't surprising they may also be using this as a play against Qualcom. Qualcoms response was "We can’t comment on partner product decisions, but Qualcomm is very committed to Windows RT and our partners and we expect momentum to build in 2013 for Windows on Snapdragon devices."

It seems there could be more to this than just what is on the "surface" of Samsung and ACER's statements.

stlbud

I'm not concerned with what ACER has to say about anything. Their build quality is ... weak. Samsung is a rogue that got stung with Windows Phone 7 and may not want to play in a restrictive game like Windows RT. Microsoft has changed the way they develop product with shorter lead times and more frequent releases. Rumors indicate Windows 9 may be released next year (Project Blue). Apple kicks their tablets to the curb every 12 to 18 months leaving users in the cold. No one complains about getting a new phone every 2 years. Lastly, Microsoft has announced they will support Surface for 4 years Microsoft promises to support Surface RT for 4+ years - Computerworld

I'm satisfied. I got the best Windows RT system there is and will be for a while. I'm sure I'll get years of use out of it and not have to worry about it disintegrating because of some minor accident. I'll use it until I get tired of it and then look for something else.

bosamar

Microsoft said they are committed to four years with the RT so I'm not going to worry. Samsung and Acer will wait until RT v2 or later...

Dutchpiet

if Microsoft drops surface RT tablet and system, I would not be worried as it does all I need now, its a great tablet,if it lasts 2 years that's ok, HP Touchpad owners know about being left in the cold, I own and still use one, very few apps and no support, but it still does
what I bought it for.

TrentonT

I read product not ready or perhaps up to standard. I don't see MS dropping this as it is there entry into mobile systems. They have a lot of eggs in this basket,

Sin

I'm not surprised that some of these companies are holding off on releasing product. I wouldn't be surprised if a big reason is that there offering does compare favorably to the Surface. They should be able to compete but I haven't seen a ton of innovation from most of the hardware manufacturers. At least not innovation that I'm willing to pay for.

OP
M

MSurfaceWA

To clarify, I'm not worried that Microsoft won't support it or that I'm not happy about the Surface. My biggest concern is that it will slow adoption of RT and result in either less apps being made or much slower app growth in the app store. By my last check the store has about 17,000 apps (typing * in the search) and I'm not sure what that says about growth in comparison to other platforms.

ARosch

The app store is certainly going to take off with Windows 8 becoming more and more popular. I for one really like the RT version, and I think people are quick to dismiss it without really seeing what it can do. The app store will grow, give it time.

ArnoldC

I love Windows RT and the device itself. To me this is the "cleaner" Windows that I'd like to use.

Having said that, as an owner of Acer Aspire S3, it feels like crap compared to my Surface RT.

The RT ecosystem will grow with or without them, and later we'll see them trying to catch the bus.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

Last edited: