What's new

Shout out to Best Buy

Krooked

I just wanted to give kudos to Best Buy.

I purchased my 128 GB Surface Pro at a local store. After powering up the SP, I noticed there was a dead pixel in the lower right corner of the display. It wasn't in a "bad" place but, you know how this goes. Once you see it, you can never "not" see it. I took the SP back to the store and they replaced it with a perfect unblemished version.

No questions, no hassle. They were great to deal with.

faisdogg

I originally wanted to buy 128gb when it came out, but they only had 64gb, so they let me buy 64gb until 128 was in Stock, so day 28 from purchase they had the 128 available. I went in paid the difference and picked up the the new one...

mitchellvii

BestBuy has a 14 day return policy on all electronics except of course if you return a few items in a short period of time. Then they place you on their infamous "Return Ban" for 90 days which is a blatant violation of the Commerce Clause. If you are on their Return Ban they will refuse returns of even clearly defective merchandise. This is an illegal practice. If this ever happens to you here is how to get around it:

1) Never show your ID when doing a return. Your receipts say ONLY a receipt is REQUIRED. Only means only. Tell them you do not give companies your private information to prevent identity theft.
2) Refuse to sign the waiver they give you when they want to put you on the ban. In it you agree to the ban for 90 days. They try and give you the impression they will not accept your return without signing this, however, your receipt contract says nothing about such a practice and they cannot refuse your return for not signing. Argue with the Manager, they will give in. If Corporate refuses to do the return without you signing the waiver (it's automated), simply tell the Manager to take the return without an ID and Corporate will never know.
3) If you were foolish enough to sign their waiver, the next time you have a return refuse to show them your ID. The receipt says they "may" request an ID on returns but the only "required" item is a receipt. Point this out, again to the Manager if you must. They will give in.
4) Have a friend return it for you. They track this by DL # not by a purchase code. << This is the failsafe method.

By signing that waiver you are giving up your rights as a Consumer under the Commerce Clause. Do NOT sign it. Do not let them bully you.

** One could argue as to why they do this to prevent serial returners who use merchandise up till the 14th day and return it. But they also apply this policy if you return a brand new TV with a cracked screen right out of the box, or if your new computer won't turn on. It is a completely bogus and illegal policy. Fortunately it can be worked around. I have had them try to pull this on me after only 2 returns, both of which were defective merchandise.

Last edited:
OP
K

Krooked

BestBuy has a 14 day return policy on all electronics except of course if you return a few items in a short period of time. Then they place you on their infamous "Return Ban" for 90 days which is a blatant violation of the Commerce Clause. If you are on their Return Ban they will refuse returns of even clearly defective merchandise. This is an illegal practice. If this ever happens to you here is how to get around it:

1) Never show your ID when doing a return. Your receipts say ONLY a receipt is REQUIRED. Only means only. Tell them you do not give companies your private information to prevent identity theft.
2) Refuse to sign the waiver they give you when they want to put you on the ban. In it you agree to the ban for 90 days. They try and give you the impression they will not accept your return without signing this, however, your receipt contract says nothing about such a practice and they cannot refuse your return for not signing. Argue with the Manager, they will give in. If Corporate refuses to do the return without you signing the waiver (it's automated), simply tell the Manager to take the return without an ID and Corporate will never know.
3) If you were foolish enough to sign their waiver, the next time you have a return refuse to show them your ID. The receipt says they "may" request an ID on returns but the only "required" item is a receipt. Point this out, again to the Manager if you must. They will give in.
4) Have a friend return it for you. They track this by DL # not by a purchase code. << This is the failsafe method.

By signing that waiver you are giving up your rights as a Consumer under the Commerce Clause. Do NOT sign it. Do not let them bully you.

** One could argue as to why they do this to prevent serial returners who use merchandise up till the 14th day and return it. But they also apply this policy if you return a brand new TV with a cracked screen right out of the box, or if your new computer won't turn on. It is a completely bogus and illegal policy. Fortunately it can be worked around. I have had them try to pull this on me after only 2 returns, both of which were defective merchandise.

Strange. I didn't have to sign anything during the return process and no one asked me for my ID. Maybe it depends on the store (or depends on whether you want a refund instead of an exchange).

I found the entire exchange process quick, simple, and pleasant. Toward the end they also gave me a new reciept to replace my old one. This reflected the serial number of the old 128 SP as well as the new one.

mitchellvii

Strange. I didn't have to sign anything during the return process and no one asked me for my ID. Maybe it depends on the store (or depends on whether you want a refund instead of an exchange).

I found the entire exchange process quick, simple, and pleasant. Toward the end they also gave me a new reciept to replace my old one. This reflected the serial number of the old 128 SP as well as the new one.

Not strange at all. This only happens if you return x number of items in x period of time. No one knows what magical formula they use when trying to decide when to humiliate and alienate their best customers.

Angel

Not strange at all. This only happens if you return x number of items in x period of time. No one knows what magical formula they use when trying to decide when to humiliate and alienate their best customers.

So true that's why I don't buy there...I stop in to look at and play with the items and then drive 20 minutes away to buy at microcenter even if it costs more!

Nuspieds

Where I am in SoCal, they always ask.

I've never had any problems, though, and I've never seen anyone refused, either. If it did happen to me, though, I certainly wouldn't stand for it.

mitchellvii

So true that's why I don't buy there...I stop in to look at and play with the items and then drive 20 minutes away to buy at microcenter even if it costs more!

You should ask for a Manager at BestBuy the next time you are there and tell him why you won't buy anything at his store.

Angel

This is just one visit at best buy...I stopped in looking for a keyboard for the TF201 another store had it in stock and cheaper but was 20 minutes away. They tried to say theirs was different and not the same model so they would not match the price. I asked to speak with a manager, he said the same thing. and as he walked away he spoke to the sales rep and told him (as if I couldn't hear) "that store is like 20 miles away and it's snowing out, don't worry she'll be back". Just a week a go a manager followed 2 reps around as they spoke to me, I had on my dark sun glasses and no one could really tell where I was looking. I caught the manager telling the reps to rap it up and make circular movements with his fingers to the reps. it was around 11 am no one in the store and I guess he would rather they stand around than help a customer.