What's new

Show Windows Stacked/Side by Side

Exhile

When I have two windows open I'd like to compare them either side by side or stacked using the taskbar menu by right-clicking it. However the function doesn't utilize the entire screen whether the SP4 is in portrait or landscape mode. I tried this on another Windows 10 laptop and it works partially. In previous versions of Windows it worked perfectly. I'd like to have this ability in Windows 10.

Plantje

Are you in tablet mode or non tablet mode?
If you are not in tablet mode try the windows key and cursor right or left combined. That will shove the current window to the chosen side and show your options to show other side as well.
If you are in tablet mode you can start dragging the window from the top, but rather than pulling it down (and closing it) you can swipe it to the left or the right.

OP
Exhile

Exhile

Are you in tablet mode or non tablet mode?
If you are not in tablet mode try the windows key and cursor right or left combined. That will shove the current window to the chosen side and show your options to show other side as well.
If you are in tablet mode you can start dragging the window from the top, but rather than pulling it down (and closing it) you can swipe it to the left or the right.
I'm in tablet mode using the portrait orientation. I don't have the type cover keyboard. When I try to drag either window to the top or bottom of the screen, the window doesn't snap like it would if I were using a mouse with screen in landscape mode. Snap was introduced in Windows 7 to utilise two windows on a screen side by side.

Plantje

In tablet mode on a SP4 that should work. If the resolution is too low (a 1280x800 for example) that may not work in portrait orientation. Come to think of it... I've had this occasionally as well on my Surface 3. If I am not mistaken this was caused by an app that was still open that didn't support snapping. Something like that.
See what happens if you only have the two apps open that you want to snap side by side.

OP
Exhile

Exhile

In tablet mode using the portrait orientation, two windows won't snap to the top or bottom of the screen. My resolution is set to 2736x1824 and scaling set to 125% so there is plenty of space to fit two windows. I don't think it matters what app I would being using to snap as long as it is in a window. But my main issue is that when I right-click the task bar and click "show windows stacked" or "show windows side by side", the two windows don't utilise the full screen.

Plantje

Hmmm... in tablet mode you don't have that option. Anyway... checked it on my Surface 3... Right clicking and selecting "Show windows side by side" acts strange...even in landscape mode. Definitely something fishy...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
What happens when:

1) Two windows are open
2) Mouse or finger drag title bar of one to center right
3) Mouse or finger drag title bar of other to center left

These windows should display side-by-side.

Plantje

Works on my surface 3. However, the option from the task bar results in strange behavior

OP
Exhile

Exhile

What happens when:

1) Two windows are open
2) Mouse or finger drag title bar of one to center right
3) Mouse or finger drag title bar of other to center left

These windows should display side-by-side.
I can snap windows explorer to the left or right but MS-Word snaps using a quarter of the screen. I use the pen to drag the title bar to either the left or right but snapping doesn't work for top & bottom when in portrait orientation.

As @Plantje pointed out the task bar option is what I'm trying to get at where the 2 windows won't "stack" or show windows "side by side".

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Microsoft Office apps, such as Word, work a bit differently. To show multiple document windows, use the 'Windows' menu of the Office app. Choose to cascade or tile windows from there.

OP
Exhile

Exhile

Microsoft Office apps, such as Word, work a bit differently. To show multiple document windows, use the 'Windows' menu of the Office app. Choose to cascade or tile windows from there.
Well, I'm not just referring to Microsoft Office apps but other applications such as web browsers, photo viewer, windows explorer etc..... Two or more windows don't "show windows stacked" or "show windows side by side" properly on my SP4. "Tile Windows Vertically" or "Tile Windows Horizontally" were the names used back in Windows XP until it was changed in Windows Vista.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Is it possible you have installed some 3rd party user interface software?

What build of Windows 10 are you running?