Poll Shut down SP3 or just close the type cover

Shut down SP3 properly or just close the type cover

• Shut down SP3

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • Close type cover

Votes: 47 62.7%

• Total voters

ptrkhh

I'll be honest. Basically I look at choosing to close the cover (when you aren't going to use the Surface for more than 10 or 20 minutes) or clicking on the icon at the top of the start page and shutting it down, a matter of whether you're lazy or not. As a matter of fact, I will go so far as to say that a lot of complaints I see in posts here are because a person is lazy when it comes to operating a computer:
Well, I do restart my SP3 every once in a while to clean things up, but I still put it to sleep when Im not using it to enjoy fast startup and Connected Standby functionalities. I think that's the vision of MS about Windows 8 (and XBOX) Theres a reason why Shut Down is located in Settings charm.
(Yes, I do aware that a recent update put Shut Down back in start, but that's just a user-requested feature, instead of being part of a vision)

bluegrass

Honestly I think your view is from a different era, and while in the context of your specific role, having people reboot from time to time 'fixes' the problem in the immediate term, it's that old way of thinking that kept Windows on its back foot for the past few years. Reboots are a Band-Aid for poor programming.

It also illustrates a different expectation from your computer. Perhaps you still use a computer in a formal manner where you actively sit down to work with it. For me, and for many many young people today, a computer is something that I expect to be able to interact with instantly at any moment on and off all day long. Shutting down my programs and not having any notifications on the home screen is no longer acceptable.

By you maybe.

The majority of people use there smart phones for notifications these days.

No operating system can keep memory clean after hours or days of usage. It's still a best practice to power down(flushes memory) and reboot your computer once a week (mainly desktops) or so. You should use task manager and look how many processes and apps are using memory right after you boot, than look at them again at the end of a day of using your Surface. Most tablet and laptop users shut down their computers regularly anyway. I would leave my Surface up and running 24/7 and only shutdown to give my memory a rebirth, about once a week if I kept it plugged in. It's pretty absurd to feel that having to wait 10 seconds to be up an running is too long to have to wait.

zhenya

By you maybe.

The majority of people use there smart phones for notifications these days.

No operating system can keep memory clean after hours or days of usage. It's still a best practice to power down(flushes memory) and reboot your computer once a week (mainly desktops) or so. You should use task manager and look how many processes and apps are using memory right after you boot, than look at them again at the end of a day of using your Surface. Most tablet and laptop users shut down their computers regularly anyway. I would leave my Surface up and running 24/7 and only shutdown to give my memory a rebirth, about once a week if I kept it plugged in. It's pretty absurd to feel that having to wait 10 seconds to be up an running is too long to have to wait.

This is such a view founded in the Microsoft world. Computers should NOT need to be rebooted. The reboot mantra is burned into Microsoft tech support because it 'fixes' so many issues at that point in time which frees you to move on to the next thing. The problem is that it doesn't really fix anything. The fix would be to figure out WHY the reboot made things better. WHICH of those many processes was misbehaving and how do I fix it or file a bug report through the correct channels so it does get fixed? In the Linux world systems routinely go years even under heavy load without rebooting. Rebooting as a 'solution' is frowned upon in many circles there because it makes figuring out what the real problem is much harder!

Yes, if I want to check in on my device a dozen times per day, 10 seconds to boot plus restarting my programs is WAY too much to ask.

olimjj

I shut down my SP3 overnight AND often my Router AND occasionally my Modem. I consider this a problem preventative protocol.

For me, it's neither closing the cover nor clicking the "shut down" virtual button...

Instead, I tend to press the physical power button on the shell. What does this count as?

ptrkhh

This is such a view founded in the Microsoft world. Computers should NOT need to be rebooted.
Not only in Microsoft world, but in the whole world that involves electronics. A lot of other people are saying "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" on any product. Not necessarily a Microsoft product. Heck, I once had unstable idle RPM on my Toyota Yaris. Guess what, a reboot fixed it.

In the Linux world systems routinely go years even under heavy load without rebooting.
Its the 'server world' most probably. And guess what, it applies to OS X Server and, surprise, surprise, Windows Server too!
Other Linux users still shut down their computer. After all, shut down button is so prominent on most Linux desktops.

12*10 = 120
120 / 1 day
1+2+0+1 = 4
Surface Pro 4 to be announced very soon ?
No, half life 3 logic doesn't apply here

dougpaw57

With Connected Standby equipped apps means that supported apps are kept up to date even when it's sleeping and the lock screen is kept up to date with notifications. 10 seconds is a long time compared to my iPad which is unlocked and ready to go in under 1 second with touchID. As a countertop reference that I use on and off all day long, that's a huge difference. Also, if you have a complex work environment set up, there is considerable disruption caused by shutting that all down and re-opening everything.

Any computer today where people feel like they need to shut it down regularly is destined to fail.

Except an ipad, no matter what people think, isn't a computer. Different thing completely.

zhenya

Except an ipad, no matter what people think, isn't a computer. Different thing completely.

I can't imagine what on earth else you'd call a device with a cpu, ram, hard disk, and an operating system that in its very function 'computes'.

Computers take all different physical forms. That it doesn't meet your own narrow definition doesn't make it an accurate one.