What's new

Sideload Kindle books?

ximoosea

Does anyone know how to sideload Kindle metro app books? It is easy to just copy into the folder on a normal Kindle and also in Desktop application but not sure if it is even possible now. I don't want to have to use the desktop version just to get around this problem. Anyone have a solution?

Arizona Willie

Use a different ebook app. Both the Kindle and Nook apps prevent you from sideloading any books. You have to buy the books from them or else it will not read them.

Also, grab Calibre an ebook converter. It will change formats of ebooks you might acquire somewhere else to any format you need.

I use the app Book Bazaar Reader. It works pretty well.

I was frustrated with the Kindle and Nook apps because I get a lot of science fiction from Baen.com and those apps would not let me read them no matter how many hoops I jumped through.
Also, check out Obooko.com for thousands of free ebooks.

The downside of Obooko is that some authors post the first book in a series they wrote on there for free and get you hooked and then you discover you have to go to Amazon or someplace and BUY the rest of the series. :(

Not that I really blame them. They deserve the money.

Does anyone know how to sideload Kindle metro app books? It is easy to just copy into the folder on a normal Kindle and also in Desktop application but not sure if it is even possible now. I don't want to have to use the desktop version just to get around this problem. Anyone have a solution?

drowe

I sideloaded a bunch of books to my Kindle app on my android smart phone. Use calibre to change them to .azw3 format and then copy them to \kindle directory and see if that works. It worked on the 60 books I did on my phone.

OP
X

ximoosea

This is the problem, it is easy to sideload on Android and also on the actual Kindle but it does not appear to be possible in the Windows 8 app.

@Arizona Willie, thanks for the input. I was hoping to not have to use another app, but guess I will give it a try. Thanks.

I sideloaded a bunch of books to my Kindle app on my android smart phone. Use calibre to change them to .azw3 format and then copy them to \kindle directory and see if that works. It worked on the 60 books I did on my phone.

klonk

It will be little dificul. Books are stored in C:\Users\*UserName*\AppData\Local\Packages\AMZNMobileLLC.KindleforWindows8_stfe6vwa9jnbp\LocalState\cache
Where bool is split into lots of xml files ( with some skeleton and metadata files... ). So basicli .mobi aor azw3 book must be splitet in that .fragment files.

If i have time today, i try look at the schema of that files and compare it with basic azw3 schema.

FYI amazon app for windows 8 is written in js ( html5 ) and its source codes is lookable ( and editable ) . So if app doing spliting, it cant be hard to write custom app just for spliting local ebook.

Russ

This is the problem, it is easy to sideload on Android and also on the actual Kindle but it does not appear to be possible in the Windows 8 app.

Ximoosea --

Are you using RT or Pro?

I was not able to sideload .mobi books into the Kindle App on the RT. I could do it on my iPad, but apparently Amazon changed it when they wrote the app for RT. I have a ton of .mobi books which I had to convert to epub to read them on my RT. I'm using a Pro now, so the Kindle App for PC allows me to load my mobi books.

Just FYI, even the best of the ebook conversion programs, and I tried most of them, including Calibre, have a tendency to garble the conversion on an apparently random basis. Usually, I could read around it, but sometimes not.

Regards,
Russ

Russ

Both the Kindle and Nook apps prevent you from sideloading any books.

Willie --

Not really; the Kindle "Metro" app on the RT will not allow it, but, since you are running a Pro, you can install the Kindle for PC app, which does allow sideloading. That is what I am using, and am happy now because I can continue to work my way through my library of .mobi books.

Baen uses PRC or MOBI (essentially the same), plus some others; the Kindle for PC app will read it. I just downloaded a free book from Baen, and it came in .mobi format. Loaded it into my Kindle app and opened it. Again, I am using the "Kindle for PC" app on my Pro, not the app that was written for RT.

Take care,
Russ

Arizona Willie

I downloaded the Kindle and Nook apps from the Store and they didn't specify RT or PRO.

Perhaps they have upgraded them since I tried them.

I'll take another look at the Kindle and see if it works now.
===
whoops just grabbed it again, then realized you are using the PC app NOT the Surface app.

HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Willie --

Not really; the Kindle "Metro" app on the RT will not allow it, but, since you are running a Pro, you can install the Kindle for PC app, which does allow sideloading. That is what I am using, and am happy now because I can continue to work my way through my library of .mobi books.

Baen uses PRC or MOBI (essentially the same), plus some others; the Kindle for PC app will read it. I just downloaded a free book from Baen, and it came in .mobi format. Loaded it into my Kindle app and opened it. Again, I am using the "Kindle for PC" app on my Pro, not the app that was written for RT.

Take care,
Russ

Last edited:

Russ

Russ means the legacy app which is not available through the store but as a download instead. Amazon.com: Kindle for PC - Read Kindle eBooks on your PC

Thanks, JP. I should have been more explicit.

Willie --

I think the "Kindle for PC" app that JP linked above will resolve your issues with Baen. As I said, I downloaded a book from there, and opened it easily. It works like this:

- Under /users/willie/My Documents/ is a folder called My Kindle Content.
- Just move your book file into there
- Open your "Kindle for PC" app, and the book will magically appear

If any questions, let me know.

Take care,
Russ

Arizona Willie

Yes, I believe THAT program will work. But the METRO Kindle app will NOT sideload anything not purchased through Amazon.
Nor could I get the Nook metro app to do it.

The desktop programs ( not apps ) work fine. I'm just trying to use as many Metro apps on the Surface as I can except for Office 365 -- never be an app that can match that.

Oh well, it's not too big a deal because there are plenty of book reading apps and we have Calibre, if needed, to convert books we can get anywhere to work in the APPS. :)

Thanks, JP. I should have been more explicit.

Willie --

I think the "Kindle for PC" app that JP linked above will resolve your issues with Baen. As I said, I downloaded a book from there, and opened it easily. It works like this:

- Under /users/willie/My Documents/ is a folder called My Kindle Content.
- Just move your book file into there
- Open your "Kindle for PC" app, and the book will magically appear

If any questions, let me know.

Take care,
Russ