What's new

Sign out of Live account?

I'm considering setting up a Live account and would like to know if (and how) I can sign out of the Live account on my Surface Pro. If this is done, would I still have access to any apps that may have been downloaded from the Store?

Rvacha

Yes, you can simply log off and technically you've logged off of your Live account by doing so. If you set up a local account and log in you should still be able to see and get updates from the store. I recently flattened my SP and when I set it up I set up only a local account. The store did not know who I was on the first visit - it asked for my user and pass. Since then I've automatically been informed of updates even though I'm logged on as a local account. For me personally that's not so good news as I wish not to be spied on by the NSA every day, but apparently they still get to see some metadata related to my Live account compliments of MS every day

CrippsCorner

I still keep changing my mind with this... the most annoying thing with having a Live Account linked, is having to enter my password everytime I unlock the Surface. On the other hand though, without it, you have to log in to quite a few apps each time.

OP
W

whiteblazer01

Yes, you can simply log off and technically you've logged off of your Live account by doing so. If you set up a local account and log in you should still be able to see and get updates from the store. I recently flattened my SP and when I set it up I set up only a local account. The store did not know who I was on the first visit - it asked for my user and pass. Since then I've automatically been informed of updates even though I'm logged on as a local account. For me personally that's not so good news as I wish not to be spied on by the NSA every day, but apparently they still get to see some metadata related to my Live account compliments of MS every day

That's the reason I'm hesitant to set up a Live account and connect it to my SP. I don't agree with Microsoft's Privacy Policy, and I especially don't like the MS-NSA relationship. The only reason I'm even considering it is to be able to use apps. So far I'm operating solely in desktop mode; I don't use any apps. I don't mind purchasing apps, I just don't want my purchases tracked, aggregated, compiled into a profile, and analyzed/cross-reference/manipulated for whatever reason. But then again, that seems to be the societal trend - to have a public profile and have memberships.

TeknoBlast

NSA can spy on me all they want. There's nothing interesting about me that they'll need to waste resources on. Heck, at least I know someone is looking out for me....hopefully.

CrippsCorner

Thanks for the link. I have to admit I didn't actually do that, but for some reason my Surface has stopped asking me for my password lol... so I must be doing something right!

Igor

Thanks for the link. I have to admit I didn't actually do that, but for some reason my Surface has stopped asking me for my password lol... so I must be doing something right!

Perhaps it has become sentient? Keep an eye on it for sure. The robot apocalypse is coming!