What's new

Significance of SP3 partitions, sizes? & which ones to recreate in Native Boot VHD Win 8.1?

What should the VHD partition structure be for universal Native boot?

• - Single Partition: [\WindowsOS]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • - 2 Partition: [EFI Sys][\WindowsOS]

• - 4 and more (do post)

• Total voters

xbliss

Significance of SP3 partitions, sizes? & which ones to recreate in Native Boot VHD Win 8.1?

- I'd like to dig a bit a bit deeper to find out significance of those RE, Sys EFI Ptns?
- Which can be eliminated and how.. given that MS provides a Download-able Recovery Image (5+ GB)?
- Also, how should I structure my Win 8.1 VHDs for Native boot on SP3?

Just sharing a little more info from Disk Management on Surface Pro 3:

Physical GPT SSD - Factory Preinstalled W8.1:
[350 MB : Recovery Ptn][200 MB : EFI System Ptn][232 GB : C:\Windows ][5.37 GB : Recovery Ptn]

A Vanilla Hyper V Installed W8.1 on GPT VHDX:
[300 MB : Recovery Ptn][100 MB : EFI System Ptn][28 GB : C:\Windows ]

In my recent experiments & experiences with VHDs, I have been able to get create, deploy..
..and Native Boot both types: Single Partition and Multi partition VHDs.
..but the Single partition VHD did not boot inside Hyper V
(I guess it needs some kind of EFI push in some fashion - whether internal to VHD or externally??)

Ideally, I wanted to create a Universal VHD that would also boot in all 3 environments listed below: (and move exclusively to VHDs)

Preferable:
- Native Boot (with Host OS)
- VM Boot (in Hyper V or VMWare)

Optionally:
- Native Boot without a Host OS

e.g. Like the examples here

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mikeormond/...-from-vhd-without-installing-a-native-os.aspx

What should the VHD partition structure be for universal Native boot?
- Single Partition: [\WindowsOS]
- 2 Partition: [EFI Sys][\WindowsOS]
- 3 Partition: [WinRE][EFI Sys][\WindowsOS]
- 4 Partitions or more: .... (similar to SP3 or the above VHDX - Vanilla Install with Recovery)

Note, several links violated the forum guidelines and have been removed.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This might give you an idea about what and why partitions are laid out as they are...
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Dd744301(v=WS.10).aspx
Recommended Configuration: System Recovery
The recommended configuration includes a Windows RE tools partition, a system partition, an MSR, a Windows partition, and a recovery image partition.

IC514412.png

We recommend that you add the Windows RE tools partition and system partition before you add the Windows partition, and the partition containing the recovery image at the end. This partition order helps to keep the system and Windows RE partitions safe during actions such as removing the recovery image partition or altering the size of the Windows partition.

Understanding Disk Partitions https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799232(v=ws.10).aspx

However, I have heard booting an encrypted VHD is not possible. I'm not sure if that's actually true or if it just wasn't achieved easily :) in the above scenario the UEFI System partition is not encrypted but the Windows partition is.

Last edited:
OP
X

xbliss

First - Who and why did they delete those links? In what way do they VIOLATE the forums rules? Those were linked to perfectly good articles on Native Boot VHD Booting without Host OS - And why the authors move to it.. and recommend it (reasoning).

Please explain to me how "relevant" information which clarifies why someone would want to Native Boot VHDs without a Host OS, is not allowed?

Can I ask why you want to move exclusively to VHD files?
JnJRoach - The reasons were there in those articles. You can google for them and once I have a response from Mods, if they allow I can post them back or as NON-hotlinking "code" if that would be allowed?

@GreyFox - With all due respect sir, I've read those articles, but there is no context there of how "special partitions" play out in the context of Native Boot VHDs.
PS: I made no mention of Encrypted VHDs, have no interest in booting encrypted volume (for now) as I have even Un-bitlockered existing SP3 drive.

From that perspective, I'd love to hear your experiences/ experiments with Native Boot VHDs.

I'd appreciate if you could share what was wrong with posting relevant links to valid articles on subject by known experts.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess you mistook me for a mind reader as there's reference to what partitions should be included so I showed you but I'm not inclined to decipher your puzzle. Why would partitions lose their purpose in a VHD, virtualization is a virtual implementation of a physical entity not virtual reality where we can redefine reality and change any rule we wish.

Rules - I don't make them, they are there because TPTB wanted it that way. It's their sandbox, you play by their rules. Every organization has rules, the Marines have rules, you don't ask why they have them you just comply or get out.

leeshor

First - Who and why did they delete those links? In what way do they VIOLATE the forums rules? Those were linked to perfectly good articles on Native Boot VHD Booting without Host OS - And why the authors move to it.. and recommend it (reasoning).

Please explain to me how "relevant" information which clarifies why someone would want to Native Boot VHDs without a Host OS, is not allowed?
The company that owns this forum prohibits links to other forums or to direct downloads. We do allow some exceptions to Microsoft.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

JnJRoach - The reasons were there in those articles. You can google for them and once I have a response from Mods, if they allow I can post them back or as NON-hotlinking "code" if that would be allowed?

I understand the reasons for VHD Boot scenarios, I've done them for test labs and classroom environments all the time, but from a production environment especially on a S0iX Enabled Mobile Device doesn't seem that it offers much benefit...

As for the links to other forums, as you've been informed it is against the site's TOS.

OP
X

xbliss

The company that owns this forum prohibits links to other forums or to direct downloads. We do allow some exceptions to Microsoft.

I am guessing this is the most prominent Surface forum on the web.
- Why would it be so insecure as to link to other forums that are not direct competitors?

- Forget the forums - I posted links to the articles on blogs of Microsoft MVPs and one who is now a Microsoft Employee.. Is that also out of bounds?

Honestly, are they so afraid of knowledge sharing across the web? I dont think any of the links I posted are direct competition or even so focused on Surface. You do not wish to pull or refer to any external knowledge from reputed MS/ MVP/ MS Employee sources?

leeshor

I don't remember removing any links to Microsoft blogs and we have allowed some in some signatures, but the decision to not allow links to other forums is way above my pay grade.

OP
X

xbliss

I don't remember removing any links to Microsoft blogs and we have allowed some in some signatures, but the decision to not allow links to other forums is way above my pay grade.

There was only one external forum link, but others were links to MVP Blogs. If those are okay I will repost them and please do tell me which ones are okay or not.

leeshor

Here is a quote from the Forum Guidelines

8. Promoting other Surface related forums, (and most other sites with forums), in your posts, signatures, or in any way on the forum is not permitted. Unless an agreement has been reached with the ADMINs of SurfaceForums.net. Doing so without this will result in infractions being issued and or banning. EXCEPTION: You are permitted to place links to personal blogs, facebook, twitter, G+.