What's new

Sims 4 works on my i5 (256GB) SP3! with latest Intel HD Drivers Graphics Utility!

Well, I installed Sims 4 and tried to run it and it was a NO-GO! Basically crashed on start-up. I wasn't surprised since Sims 4 says it requires a Intel HD 4500 at a minimum, and my SP3 i5 (256GB) only has a Intel HD 4400.

Anyways, I uninstalled the Intel HD Family Driver on my SP3 and installed the latest Intel HD Driver from Intels Automatic Driver Update website, and downloaded the latest file, but only the ZIP file, not the EXE file. UNZIPPED that file, then proceeded to update my Display Driver manually and pointed to the UNZIPPED folder. A few minutes later, I had the Intel HD driver installed with the latest updates, and access to the Intel HD Graphics Utility and Options.

Back to The Sims 4... I plugged in my charger cable and tried it one last time. Voila! It loaded. The default settings were medium. But when I tried to run it on battery, Sims 4 wouldn't start. So turning the Sims 4 setting to Low-Medium, and now it works perfectly on battery. Albeit it is not the highest looking graphics, but alas it it very playable.

Hope this helps someone else

macmee

As a casual gamer I was considering picking this up for my SP3 i7. I might wait until gestureworks creates a touch ui for it though.

andrewE

im trying despiratly to try and install the driver from the website. :-/
Every time I uninstall the family driver, It pops back up when I restart my computer. Also, you said to manually install it from the ZIP file, but how do I manually install the driver without the Display Adaptor shown on the device manager?
Opening the setup for the Intel driver zip file just errors and gives me "driver being installed is not validated for this computer"

Im doing win64_15363

fifl

I have installed and played like 30 hours of this game on my SP3 i5 128 gb. It worked without doing anything "nerdy", pressed play and played without any problem :)
However there are a few bugs in the game, like my maid doesnt show up every day, only when called on.
Touch works pretty good, except from moving the screen back n forth, but if you have a small house that wont be any big issue.

Liam2349

Every time I uninstall the family driver, It pops back up when I restart my computer. Also, you said to manually install it from the ZIP file, but how do I manually install the driver without the Display Adaptor shown on the device manager?
Opening the setup for the Intel driver zip file just errors and gives me "driver being installed is not validated for this computer"

Im doing win64_15363

First, turn off automatic windows updates. Download and choose, or manually check them - if it's on auto, your Intel driver will uninstall itself and be replaced with the Microsoft driver.

Go into device manager, and your graphics driver is in display adapters. Update it with the one you downloaded from Intel.

Opt to browse your computer for driver software, pick from a list of device drivers on your computer, click have disk, and navigate to the Intel driver.

Liam2349

I have installed and played like 30 hours of this game on my SP3 i5 128 gb. It worked without doing anything "nerdy", pressed play and played without any problem :)
However there are a few bugs in the game, like my maid doesnt show up every day, only when called on.
Touch works pretty good, except from moving the screen back n forth, but if you have a small house that wont be any big issue.

What are your settings? Fan noise? Frame rates?

fifl

Fan goes on at its highest.. I don't mind really -it was expected. My SP2 did the same with Civ5.
I changed the resolution to 1920x1200, much better imo. Most of the settings are at medium, 3D is at high and the one underneath 3D is at high.
Frame rate is at 59

Liam2349

Fan goes on at its highest.. I don't mind really -it was expected. My SP2 did the same with Civ5.
I changed the resolution to 1920x1200, much better imo. Most of the settings are at medium, 3D is at high and the one underneath 3D is at high.
Frame rate is at 59

Sounds decent - I used to play Civ V on my SP2 but haven't bothered installing it on my SP3 because it made my SP2 so hot. I use Steam in-home streaming for that type of stuff now, if I want to play it on my SP3.

Im doing win64_15363
Go here and download the second file which is the ZIP file.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24245&lang=eng&ProdId=3719

Extract the ZIP file to your desktop or wherever you wish.

Turn WIFI OFF

Uninstall Intel Family HD Drivers from device manager under display.

Restart computer

Now go back to Device Manager and under Display it will have Microsoft Generic Display driver. Hit Update drivers, choose browse, and just click on the ZIP file folder you Extracted earlier. It will install the new Intel Family HD drivers, and now you will have access to the Intel HD Graphics Utility!

Cheers!