What's new

Since recent updates surface 2 youtube on internet explorer crashes everytime i open

Rio

this only started happening after the recent updates but everytime i open internet explorer and go to youtube the page freezes and stop responding and always ask to recover the page..anybody else having this problem??

820d34aa-4108-475c-8dda-5e39b3af636c_zps53979d1b.jpg

Hstakz

Exact same with me buddy. There is another thread active with people with the same problem. My guess is it's google under going maintenance after the new comment update for YouTube. It's incredibly frustrating but for a temporary fix, I reset IE.

It doesn't wipe your favourites or anything but only cached websites.

1. Top right corner hit the settings icon under the 'X'
2. Internet options
3. Advanced tab
4. Down at the bottom is reset

It helps a little, im now able to watch a least a couple of videos before it doesn't respond. Anyway good luck with that!

demandarin

You not alone. The problem is on youtube side. Ive been having same issue occur on my pro also. Youtube servers kinda messed up at the moment.

OP
R

Rio

You not alone. The problem is on youtube side. Ive been having same issue occur on my pro also. Youtube servers kinda messed up at the moment.

ok glad i'm not alone, i hope they fix this soon...i use youtube quite frquently lol

Exact same with me buddy. There is another thread active with people with the same problem. My guess is it's google under going maintenance after the new comment update for YouTube. It's incredibly frustrating but for a temporary fix, I reset IE.

2. Internet options
3. Advanced tab

It helps a little, im now able to watch a least a couple of videos before it doesn't respond. Anyway good luck with that!

OP
R

Rio

2. Internet options
3. Advanced tab

can i get a link to this other thread? -thanks

OP
R

Rio

I just got off the phone with cory from microsoft support, told him my problem and asked if anything is being done about the youtube issue.He put me on hold for 4 minutes and came back and said "microsoft is aware of the problem but there isn't a solution yet". I encourage everyone who has this problem to call and atleast report it...maybe if enough of us complain it will be a high priority for them to fix. you can reach microsoft support at 1-800-642-7676

oion

I just got off the phone with cory from microsoft support, told him my problem and asked if anything is being done about the youtube issue.He put me on hold for 4 minutes and came back and said "microsoft is aware of the problem but there isn't a solution yet". I encourage everyone who has this problem to call and atleast report it...maybe if enough of us complain it will be a high priority for them to fix. you can reach microsoft support at 1-800-642-7676

A high priority---which may not be on the Microsoft side of things at all. Google may have messed with something being served specifically to the IE11 browser. If the issue is coming from Google's side, there isn't a good way to make MS "fix" it (the onus is on the serving-side developers to follow standards and be platform-friendly while the onus is on client-side to interpret web standards properly). There are multiple threads about this already, and someone has a temporary fix:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...898-new-surface-2-trouble-youtube-videos.html

OP
R

Rio

A high priority---which may not be on the Microsoft side of things at all. Google may have messed with something being served specifically to the IE11 browser. If the issue is coming from Google's side, there isn't a good way to make MS "fix" it (the onus is on the serving-side developers to follow standards and be platform-friendly while the onus is on client-side to interpret web standards properly). There are multiple threads about this already, and someone has a temporary fix:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...898-new-surface-2-trouble-youtube-videos.html

the temporary fix doesn't work for surfaces -__- i assume desktop only, and i would still report it why not? if it's on google side maybe microsoft can talk to google then. So you'd rather just not say anything and hope they are on top of it?

oion

Yeah, hoping Microsoft and Google get on the same page to mutually fix a problem is a bit optimistic. What typically happens when these big enemy companies have products that are problematic for each other is finger-pointing and then workarounds. We also don't know where the problem truly lies. Basically I think it's certainly worth it to bring it to both MS/Google's attention, but I'd leave the phone lines for more critical tech support and go to the official boards to sound off.

I have the latest updates on my Surface 2 and just tried Youtube in Metro IE11. I have three TPLs installed. Youtube is not in my compatibility list.

The front Youtube page was a blank white for a while and then finally loaded, though there's a blank space right under the search field (where I presume videos would normally be, but I can't see them). I entered a search and it brought up the search results fine. Filtering by date worked fine too. Video thumbnails did not load for things below the fold. I had to press a video a few times to get the page to load, but once it did, the video started playing fine.

So something changed in the meantime, though who knows what. I suppose there's more tweaking going on as well.

OP
R

Rio

So i don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing i can't even access the youtube site on my surface anymore, but says someone is working on it
Screenshot8_zps9af03f63.png

oion

So i don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing i can't even access the youtube site on my surface anymore, but says someone is working on it

Wow. I don't get that at all. On Metro IE11, the front page freezes for a bit (touching anything doesn't go anywhere and the search field doesn't work, but I can scroll the page up/down), and then suddenly whatever video I touched will load. Interacting with Youtube is kind of randomly slow for me right now, like opening the search filters in one instance, and then opening a video from other search results. 500 is a server-side error, but...other possibilities.