What's new

Skinomi case

beq

Thanks for sharing!

They have ones on their website for SP1. Not sure if the SP1 & SP2 are physically identical or not.
I was wondering about this as well, since some brands of decals similar to Skinomi only offer it for the SP1, and I wanted to find out it the SP2 has the same dimensions and port layout. Anyone knows?

Anyways I'm still trying to compare the different brands as I want to put decals and do away with our Incipio feather snap-on cases which won't fit the Docking Station.

Do you feel Skinomi is just as good as any brand? I like that it's a dry install, doesn't break out the sides into small pieces, and can be found cheap on Amazon (some other brands have drawbacks in some of these aspects).

Last edited:

benjitek

Where can i buy these...?
For what reason? -- because for some reason you like the look of them...? or, maybe you're afraid your SP2 will look worse-for-wear? I prefer to use a device as it was designed to be used, in the case of a SP2, that means naked. It's gonna be with me a few years, I paid a small fortune for it, no one's gonna pay much for a used Surface, at least not yet -- so I'll enjoy mine without a plasticy coating thank you ;-)

Zkyevolved

For what reason? -- because for some reason you like the look of them...? or, maybe you're afraid your SP2 will look worse-for-wear? I prefer to use a device as it was designed to be used, in the case of a SP2, that means naked. It's gonna be with me a few years, I paid a small fortune for it, no one's gonna pay much for a used Surface, at least not yet -- so I'll enjoy mine without a plasticy coating thank you ;-)

I wouldn't resell mine. I like it too much. But maybe in a few years, who knows. Regardless, without even thinking about resale, I hate ABSOLUTELY HATE, scratches and dings. So this is why I'm considering it. I always carry it around in a case made for that, carrying it around. But when I have it at home it's never in the case. The last thing I need is to put it down one day without the keyboard facing down and scratching the back. All for what? Just because I am actively looking to NOT take care of my device? I understand what you're saying, it's your device, us it as it was intended. I personally don't like scratched products (phones, keyboards, tablets, especially screens!) ergo, I'm looking for something for that reason ;) Nothing related to resale.

Even if you do decide to resell it in 3 years, it's still going to be better spec'd than the lower end 200-300 dollar tablets / computers / laptops. So.... there you go!

benjitek

...I always carry it around in a case made for that, carrying it around. But when I have it at home it's never in the case...
I agree 100% -- exactly what I do with mine. Padded comfort for transport, but nothing while in use. If I used it a lot in the field, I'd probably have to rethink that, as I've read the SP2 doesn't survive a basic drop-test very well. But home-to-desk and back, just a carrying case.

You may have already found your 'perfect-case', I went through a couple before I found 'the-one': MyCase =)

kozak79

The finish on the SP2 is not very strong. I have scratches on the back from placing it on a table with some crumbs on it.

Anyone know if it's removable without damaging the original finish?

Ruffles

I have a carbon fiber skin on mine. It makes no difference to heat dissipation or cooling. Like other have said, I hate scratches so that's why I use it. Also, I agree that the finish on the SP2 is very brittle - much more so than the finish on my SP1. I have many nicks and spots on mine where it's come off and the amazing thing is the spots are in places where it's never been bumped like inside the cooling vent or behind the kickstand.

OP
A

al2fast

The finish on the SP2 is not very strong. I have scratches on the back from placing it on a table with some crumbs on it.

Anyone know if it's removable without damaging the original finish?

I'd be very surprised if this affected the original finish if removed. If it did I'd say there was probably something wrong from the beginning or you used a knife and gouged it up. Should peel off easy, may need to just use a heat gun or hair dryer to make it easier.

One of the best things about the film is it provides some texture and I find it easier to hold. I will sell mine someday, maybe a year or maybe 5 years. Regardless it will sell much easier and for more if its not beat up. I have no affiliation with skinomi, this just meets my needs. Scratch protection, adds no weight or bulk, I like the look, and more comfortable for me to hold. Comes with a screen protector too, which I don't have on because I don't like them!

eelpout

I always fear plugging in the power or a USB cable as it's very easy to scratch the Surface's surface. It's like playing "Operation" every time. :(

Cambo

I'd be very surprised if this affected the original finish if removed. If it did I'd say there was probably something wrong from the beginning or you used a knife and gouged it up. Should peel off easy, may need to just use a heat gun or hair dryer to make it easier.

One of the best things about the film is it provides some texture and I find it easier to hold. I will sell mine someday, maybe a year or maybe 5 years. Regardless it will sell much easier and for more if its not beat up. I have no affiliation with skinomi, this just meets my needs. Scratch protection, adds no weight or bulk, I like the look, and more comfortable for me to hold. Comes with a screen protector too, which I don't have on because I don't like them!

actually it can take the paint off so be careful.it took the paint off my surface.

Last edited:

CreativeLemming

I had the stickerboy jet black aluminium on mine (Stickerboy ? Slate Jet Black Brushed Aluminum - Microsoft Surface Pro Skins), just had to take it off as I'm shipping back my old device.

Using a hairdryer to soften the glue it came off quite easily (was sort of hoping I might be able to reuse it if I was careful but no such luck :-( so will stick with my incision feather case). Came with a couple of extra side parts so might stick those on the new one.

Quite like the look of yours though - is this the same as yours (looks a bit lighter in the pictures on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinomi®-Te...-1&keywords=skinomi+surface+pro+2+aluminium)?