What's new

Skydrive and explorer

pandmholt

I would love to be able to upload from explorer to skydrive. It seems that I should be able to. Am I missing something? Thanks Peter

kristalsoldier

Explorer meaning the file manager in Desktop mode? Or explorer as in IE? Either way, I would be interested to know how to do this.

Afy

Try using File Brick. It supposed integrates local and cloud storage. I havent used it personally... so YMMW

souldier

If you're talking about file explorer, then you can. When you install sky drive on to your computer, then sky drive appears in your file explorer as if it were another folder/library such as your pictures/videos/documents. You can drag and drop straight to sky drive like you would any other folder and it begins to upload in the background. I save all my documents and everything now on sky drive and it syncs with my other computer

hifilistener

Honestly, yes it is very simple. I am staggered that so many folks are missing this. I think the metro SkyDrive app leaves a lot to be desired. I use the SkyDrive app for windows. Log into SkyDrive.com and click apps. Get the windows or desktop app. It.hooks right into explorer. Sounds like all you need.

maxthepoke

Honestly, yes it is very simple. I am staggered that so many folks are missing this. I think the metro SkyDrive app leaves a lot to be desired. I use the SkyDrive app for windows. Log into SkyDrive.com and click apps. Get the windows or desktop app. It.hooks right into explorer. Sounds like all you need.

Sorry, but this will not work on the Surface RT. The solution that Sin gave is the one that works! How To: Map Network Skydrive Folder on Windows & Surface RT | Rashed Talukders Little Place on the Net

kristalsoldier

Exactly, I have it on my Win 7 machine. I would like to have the option on my RT. I believe there is a way to do this - just got to spend some time working it out. I also wonde why MS did not allow/ enable this on RT - ideally, the option would have given the user a choice to map it either to C: or to the SD card.

Edit: I will have to do this as Rashid describes on his site. The only question I have is whether these things will break if MS decides to update the OS or elements of it or update the SkyDrive app by adding this functionality.

Last edited:

Sin

The ability to map SkyDrive has existed for quite some time and I can't see any reason why Microsoft would disable the feature. If anything it would be nice if they would automated the drive mapping to eliminate most of the steps. Wouldn't be so hard to do and would make this all more obvious. I map my SkyDrive on all of my personal machines, just make managing my files so simple.