What's new

Skydrive folder on Surface RT

kristalsoldier

Hi...

As far as I know, there is no Sydrive folder on the RT like there is in Win 8 and higher machines. There are, of course, some ways to map a folder as described here. There is also apparently an app to sync folders automatically as described here. I have tried neither. But I wonder if this capability is there with 8.1 in which case I will hold off trying either of these options (and other alternatives). I wonder if those of you who have been brave enough to test the 8.1 version can let me/ us know I this is indeed possible in 8.1.

If it is not, I wonder what MS is thinking!!! This should be baked into RT. One assumes it is a key feature which only serves to underscore MS's newfound "devices and services" strategy.

Thanks in advance.

compnovo

Nice!!!! So, I'll hold off and wait for the official 8.1 release!

You don't have to wait if you're willing to install the 8.1 Preview Release. There is an upgrade path on the RT so you won't have to reinstall everything with the Final Release comes out.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

You don't have to wait if you're willing to install the 8.1 Preview Release. There is an upgrade path on the RT so you won't have to reinstall everything with the Final Release comes out.

Oh...I did not know that. I assumed - based on the stuff that I have read thus far - that I would have to reinstall everything all over again. Can you please link me to a "how to" or something like that then? Also, is the 8.1 version stable? I just can't have my RT copping out on my at the moment.

compnovo

Oh...I did not know that. I assumed - based on the stuff that I have read thus far - that I would have to reinstall everything all over again. Can you please link me to a "how to" or something like that then? Also, is the 8.1 version stable? I just can't have my RT copping out on my at the moment.

There's a nice thread going on here...
http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...l-discussion/5206-surface-rt-8-1-preview.html
But regarding reinstalling the OS, that only applies to the desktop version of 8.1, not the RT version. It is very stable but there is no going back, it apparently overwrites the Restore partition. So, desktop = no going forward; RT = no going back.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

hotphil

One thing I keep meaning to try (but haven't got round to yet) is moving the SkyDrive folder to the SD card. To be honest, I don't need to as I've the 64GB Surface RT and my SkyDrive is only 15GB, but I fancy being able to have it on the SD card. The config file appears to be the same as in "normal" Windows and should just need the same edit to point it at the SD card. Might give it a go later.

ArnoldC

One thing I keep meaning to try (but haven't got round to yet) is moving the SkyDrive folder to the SD card. To be honest, I don't need to as I've the 64GB Surface RT and my SkyDrive is only 15GB, but I fancy being able to have it on the SD card. The config file appears to be the same as in "normal" Windows and should just need the same edit to point it at the SD card. Might give it a go later.

It's a System Folder. It is also tied to the new Windows Search, which you will break if you did that.