What's new

Skydrive issues

Sad Nation

Hi all

Firstly I would like to say I love my SP2. I have just taken it to Florida and back and it was an amazing tool, a tablet, a laptop and a digitiser, everyone wanted a go on it!

However as I was trying to save space, I right clicked on all of my Skydrive folders to make them on-line only. All of my folder do this except my music folder. It says it is on-line only but it is still taking up space on my hard drive!

Has anyone else experienced this yet? It is annoying as my music folder is 64GB!

I look forward to hearing from you peeps!

Sad Nation

jollywombat

Once you selected the online only option, do you have to remove the files then from the folder yourself? I assume it would not deleted the contents of the folder for you.

kristalsoldier

Hi all

Firstly I would like to say I love my SP2. I have just taken it to Florida and back and it was an amazing tool, a tablet, a laptop and a digitiser, everyone wanted a go on it!

However as I was trying to save space, I right clicked on all of my Skydrive folders to make them on-line only. All of my folder do this except my music folder. It says it is on-line only but it is still taking up space on my hard drive!

Has anyone else experienced this yet? It is annoying as my music folder is 64GB!

I look forward to hearing from you peeps!

Sad Nation

You may need to give it some time. It takes a while for stuff to move online, would be my best guess. I have a combination of on and off line access to various folders and to files within various folders. Today, I moved a bunch of files (around 10GB) from my desktop machine to the SkyDrive folder (all marked online only). It took some time to show up on my Surface 2 and on my iPad.

Ruffles

I've also had a few issues with Skydrive whenever you try to sync large numbers of files. While the files appear to have transferred, they get stuck updating. You might look at your other machines that are synced via Skydrive and verify that they are up to date. Then, find the files that claim to still be syncing and remove them manually from your surface.

Rickie

Oh, how did you manage to get sky drive to work?! I've got s2, and it won't let me upload saying it's full, but its new and empty!

Oh, how did you manage to get sky drive to work?! I've got s2, and it won't let me upload saying it's full, but its new and empty!

You have a free upgrade to Skydrive (200 GB or so) which came with your S2 purchase. You just need to use the code on the card that came with your S2 and type that code in to upgrade your amount of Skydrive storage space.

Rickie

Thanks so much for reply. I don't recall a card. Also, I have 7GB to start with and it's empty. Any ideas?

kristalsoldier

Thanks so much for reply. I don't recall a card. Also, I have 7GB to start with and it's empty. Any ideas?

That card/ voucher would have been inside the box in which the Surface 2 was packed. Along with it you would have also got 1 year's worth of free Skype - calls and Wifi, I think (I have never used it though - I do use the 200GB of SkyDrive).

OP
S

Sad Nation

My understanding of Skydrive is this, if it is off-line then obviously the physical file is actually on your hard drive. If it is on-line only then you still see the file but it is just a metatag showing that file is available on-line and has to be downloaded to be viewed/heard/etc.

All of my other folders in Skydrive work exactly like this but not my music one.

Also if I make my music folder off-line only, it still downloads the files again even though they are on the hard drive already!

hotphil

That sounds like you've got two Music folders - one in a SkyDrive subfolder, and one in the default Windows location?

OP
S

Sad Nation

I do have 2 music folders one of which is not used and is in my user profile. However I have deleted that folder from my music library and added the Skydrive one as the default and public save folder. My documents, pictures and video folders are set up exactly the same way and do not have this issue.

OP
S

Sad Nation

I had a system hardware update a few days ago and now the Skydrive issue has gone away. I can make all of my files off-line or on-line now!