What's new

Skydrive Stuck at Pending

wormywyrm

I just moved to Stateline NV and got a surface 2. I really like it, except skydrive doesn't work. When I try to open a picture, it just shows the loading dots forever. I have saved stuff to the sky drive folder and it doesn't get onto the internet. It is stuck in pending.

Here is what it looks like from the sky drive app:
windows rt 8.1 skydrive pending Pictures, windows rt 8.1 skydrive pending Images, windows rt 8.1 skydrive pending Photos, windows rt 8.1 skydrive pending Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

It will sit as pending forever... I have left it overnight 3 nights now and there has been no progress at all. Any advice?

I have updated via Windows Update all available updates. I am running windows 8.1. I haven't changed many settings on sky drive. I am not roaming or using a metered connection.

oion

I think we're missing some information.

Did you upload the pics from your PC onto Skydrive and attempted to open them on Surface? You only said "I have saved stuff to the sky drive folder" but not from where; according to the screenshot, it looks like a few hundred images are still being uploaded, so they can't be downloaded yet.

If you transferred images to the Skydrive folder on your PC, it's not the same as copying stuff between regular file manager windows--once you copy/move something into the Skydrive folder, it's definitely uploading. And upstream internet speeds are, for all intents and purposes, always slower than download speeds (asymmetric). If you didn't allow your PC to finish uploading, for example, the images would simply stay pending. It's also possible that you have so much going upstream/downstream that the bandwidth is being choked, but of course that depends on your internet speeds and whatnot.

OP
W

wormywyrm

I think we're missing some information.

Did you upload the pics from your PC onto Skydrive and attempted to open them on Surface? You only said "I have saved stuff to the sky drive folder" but not from where; according to the screenshot, it looks like a few hundred images are still being uploaded, so they can't be downloaded yet.

If you transferred images to the Skydrive folder on your PC, it's not the same as copying stuff between regular file manager windows--once you copy/move something into the Skydrive folder, it's definitely uploading. And upstream internet speeds are, for all intents and purposes, always slower than download speeds (asymmetric). If you didn't allow your PC to finish uploading, for example, the images would simply stay pending. It's also possible that you have so much going upstream/downstream that the bandwidth is being choked, but of course that depends on your internet speeds and whatnot.

I have been using sky drive for years with my old surface, my PC, and through the sky drive website. The sky drive website still works totally fine on my surface 2. When I attempt to upload pictures to sky drive by dragging files into the sky drive folder, it gets stuck at pending. When I try to move files out of the sky drive folder that had been previously uploaded via my old surface or PC, it gets stuck at pending. When I try to right click files/pictures and set them to be stored offline it gets stuck at pending. All these 'pending' changes do not get displayed on the sky drive website but you can see the new pending files sitting in the folder on my surface 2 with the little blue circle on their icon.

Last night I left the surface 2 on all night connected to the internet with sky drive progress window open. No files were uploaded or downloaded. My internet at my new house is slow but not -that- slow. The image files are fairly large. This problem has been occurring since I bought the surface 2 about 5 days ago...

oion

I'm wondering if SkyDrive has a file number upload limit that you're hitting.

For example, SkyDrive Pro has this FAQ (this may not be directly applicable since SkyDrive Pro is a similar product for Sharepoint/Office 365 enterprise use, but I wonder if the issue is analogous--the Office-related fixes on that page are likely irrelevant to your case):
If you added a large number of files or folders to your local SkyDrive Pro folder and synchronization to your SkyDrive library appears to stall, or if you see a large number of pending uploads in the Microsoft Office Upload Center, you’ve probably exceeded the current limit of items (folders or files) that can be added to SkyDrive Pro in one session.
Add content to your local SkyDrive Pro folder in chunks of 200 items or less. An item can be a folder or a file. So, for example, if you add a folder that contains 50 sub-folders and 120 files, totaling 170 items, this falls within the acceptable limit.

Then on the general SkyDrive user FAQ, there is a bit of fine print in the notes section:
Microsoft might limit the number of files that you can upload to SkyDrive each month.

Unfortunately, that's a very vague statement, but I have to wonder if it applies to your situation. I don't know if there's a way to cancel all those pending files and remove them and try again, maybe in smaller batches.

Of course, if you had moved hundreds of files in one go while you had your Surface RT and didn't have problems then, I have no idea. It's also possible that there's a connection issue going on between the SkyDrive app and the cloud service, and an app reinstall may or may not fix the problem. The official SkyDrive forums are here, otherwise.

OP
W

wormywyrm

I appreciate your help a lot :). I am going to try removing all but 10 of the pictures and see if they'll upload tonight.

OP
W

wormywyrm

So I removed all but 15 of the pictures to be uploaded, and the progress screen changed accordingly. Now it shows 15 uploading and 214 downloading. Still not working though.

So then I decided to remove some of the downloads, so I told all my files to be available online only, thinking that would stop the downloads. It didn't; it is still showing 214. So I removed the 15 uploads left at least and checked the progress screen again: 0 uploading, 214 downloading. No progress on downloads.

This time I decided hey may as well figure out how to get rid of those downloads! I went into C drive, deleted the sky drive temp folder there, opened up appdata/Microsoft/sky drive and started going crazy on it. I deleted a bunch of log files in there and opened all the txt and ini files in the settings folder and just started changing *#@ according to whatever sounded cool. For instance, there were various #'s for 'limits of files in folders' and stuff like that, I just started doubling all these numbers. Other things I changed included telling it to only upload 1 file at a time instead of 3 (hoping that would make the one file go noticeably faster and not time out). I also increased the time out times thinking that maybe my slow connection here is causing the files to time out before they complete.

SOMETHING worked, because although download is still showing 214, uploads are happening! I tried first with just one file at a time. Then I started trying to open pictures in sky drive and they actually opened instead of timing out at a loading screen. Now I dragged my 15 file folder back in and its already down to 13 with a 90% and increasing progress bar being shown on another of the 13 left! Whoot!

I should mention to anyone here looking for solution to similar problems that closed 2 sky drive services via task manager BEFORE messing with the settings files and restarted my computer AFTER.

Last edited:

Omni

I find SkyDrive app to be a little hit and miss sometimes. Ive had upload problems many times so I just double check after saving documents that its uploaded correctly.

OP
W

wormywyrm

I find SkyDrive app to be a little hit and miss sometimes. Ive had upload problems many times so I just double check after saving documents that its uploaded correctly.

This is my first time with problems after two years but now I see why some people say that!