What's new

SkyDrive

rtibbitts

I recently purchased a new Surface 2 Pro 256 gig. I'm loving it but want to now take advantage of my 200 gigs of storage on SkyDrive. I have several questions I hope can be addressed here:

1. As I work frequently from another computer I would like to direct my primary files to save on SkyDrive. From what I've read, I should be able to right click on a folder and then change the folder location to one of the folders on SkyDrive (i.e. change c:\users\<username>\documents to c:\users\<user name>\skydrive\documents). It seems to me using this process will assure that all new files and folders under that directory would always be stored on SkyDrive.

I'm finding that the only folders I can modify the folder location on are the primary system folders like documents, music, pictures, etc. The problem with this is that I don't want the entirety of my documents folder to be on SkyDrive. There are many subfolders that I don't want gumming up my SkyDrive. Is there a way to change the folder location on folders other than the main profile folders?

When I have tried to modify one of the profile folders locations I'm receiving a message that in part states:

"if you proceed with redirection you will not be able to separate them or restore default location"

That seems quite ominous and so I've not moved forward with SkyDrive afraid I might create a big problem for myself.

2. I would like to have the files on both computers pull from SkyDrive. Assuming I can change the folder locations of both computers Document folder (or subfolders within Documents), can I have duplicate folder names on both drives dumping their files in to one folder? If I can, what happens if I had the same file name in the same directories of both folders but with different content? Would one file just overwrite the other?

I've searched all over the internet for a thorough best practices document for SkyDrive use but it seems almost everything I've found doesn't cover setup these topics. I would really appreciate your help and referral to any collateral materials that would help me.

EMINENT

I recently purchased a new Surface 2 Pro 256 gig. I'm loving it but want to now take advantage of my 200 gigs of storage on SkyDrive. I have several questions I hope can be addressed here:

1. As I work frequently from another computer I would like to direct my primary files to save on SkyDrive. From what I've read, I should be able to right click on a folder and then change the folder location to one of the folders on SkyDrive (i.e. change c:\users\<username>\documents to c:\users\<user name>\skydrive\documents). It seems to me using this process will assure that all new files and folders under that directory would always be stored on SkyDrive.

I'm finding that the only folders I can modify the folder location on are the primary system folders like documents, music, pictures, etc. The problem with this is that I don't want the entirety of my documents folder to be on SkyDrive. There are many subfolders that I don't want gumming up my SkyDrive. Is there a way to change the folder location on folders other than the main profile folders?

When I have tried to modify one of the profile folders locations I'm receiving a message that in part states:

"if you proceed with redirection you will not be able to separate them or restore default location"

That seems quite ominous and so I've not moved forward with SkyDrive afraid I might create a big problem for myself.

2. I would like to have the files on both computers pull from SkyDrive. Assuming I can change the folder locations of both computers Document folder (or subfolders within Documents), can I have duplicate folder names on both drives dumping their files in to one folder? If I can, what happens if I had the same file name in the same directories of both folders but with different content? Would one file just overwrite the other?

I've searched all over the internet for a thorough best practices document for SkyDrive use but it seems almost everything I've found doesn't cover setup these topics. I would really appreciate your help and referral to any collateral materials that would help me.

You can move the Skydrive location to another disk. I don't advise moving a system folder to Skydrive if that's what you're thinking of doing. Although you probably have reasons as to why you want to move your documents folder, I can tell you that having all my files on Skydrive spread out though it's own folders works well for me.

I have my files on a hard drive. I have a copy on Skydrive. I use Skydrive for both my Surface 2 and pc this way so I have nothing in the "my documents" or "my photos" folders etc. Never used those folders anyways.

polbit

The way I have my SkyDrive set up is a Documents folder that separate from My Documents, but part of the Documents library. That way all the "junk" like AppData, etc. gets saved in My Documents and not backed up, but real documents I create are always on SkyDrive. For pictures and videos I replaced default locations with SkyDrive, and for music I'm not backing anything up.

I've also been using ifttt.com to save photos from email attachments or facebook automatically, etc. It's been great.

Overall, I find SkyDrive to be superior to any other solution I've tried, including Google Drive, Dropbox or iCloud. Really like the integration and the ap availability and design for Mac and Android.