What's new

Skype in Metro

al2fast

Anyone have any issues with the front camera cutting in and out when using Skype in Metro? What I mean is I can see my video going out and freezing periodically and when this is happening I can see the light for my front camera going on and off. Tried re-installing metro Skype, but no change. I installed Skype on the desktop and it works flawlessly. I'm not about to swap this surface out, have a skin on it and it took me going through 3 SP2 to get one with an acceptable kickstand.

Still love the SP2, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if maybe I just have some flaky hardware or maybe need a refresh, but I don't feel like setting everything back up when I have a good workaround. I just got an email today from MS saying "Hey, let us show you how to Skype in metro and then split screen and be productive.". I was like, Hey, why don't you spend less $$ marketing to existing owners and maybe throw that $$ at R&D to get some of these bugs worked out and figure out how to roll out a firmware upgrade successfully.

OP
A

al2fast

I have the same problem and started a thread about it a while back. Nobody answered...

Well, that sucks. I guess maybe good news, we are both experiencing it, so most likely not a hardware issue, sounds more like an issue with Metro Skype. One would think that M$ could get their own software package on their own OS on their own hardware to run. Skype ran flawless on my old iPad4!

grumpy

I have only used the Metro version of Skype, and I have not noticed this problem. It is probably just another problem that only affects a subset of SP2 users.

Last edited:
I use Skype Metro a lot and haven't encountered the issue you have, although recently (past couple of weeks), my Skype has been crashing at random moments during video calls..

sonicfan1373

I have the same issue on my original Surface. This does not seem to be occurring in other apps but I will do a bigger test when I get home. Just in case has anyone had this problem in a manner that has led to the entire front camera stopping functioning? Does the light flashing issue also occur with the back camera?

OP
A

al2fast

I have the same issue on my original Surface. This does not seem to be occurring in other apps but I will do a bigger test when I get home. Just in case has anyone had this problem in a manner that has led to the entire front camera stopping functioning? Does the light flashing issue also occur with the back camera?

The only time I use the camera is with Skype and I only use the front one. I have used the rear in short spurts and have not noticed it cutting out like the front one.