What's new

Skype Volume Too Low

InspectHerGadget

I did my first Skype call today.

The volume was way too low even on maximum.

It is probably OK with headphones but it is pretty useless.

Back to FaceTime on my iPad or MacBook?

I normally do call my brother in New Zealand from home and use my iPad as he has an iPhone.

Is this Skype issue typical?

Garry9600

No problems with Skype on mine - I usually have to keep the volume down around 40% or it's a bit too loud. Are you using the Skype Metro app? The app seems to work well. What happens when you test the sound in the settings area?

OP
I

InspectHerGadget

It is the metro app. Sound isn't generally a problem. It might be a Skype issue with certain calls. It was OK on my Lumia 1520 although I did have the sound turned up.

Thinking about it, it may be a Skype call issue rather than a Surface device issue.

It is annoying though but then again they are always trying to improve upon it.

OP
I

InspectHerGadget

I just did the test call and I think that there is an issue. I could hear the test call but only at 100% volume and the recorded playback was very faint and hard to hear.

Youtube volume is OK so it looks like it is Skype specific issue, nothing to do with hardware.

Last edited:

toaf

or is it the odd bug where you have to "up the input gain"? i don't know if the same thing fixes it in metro but for desktop it worked great for "low volume" issues

OP
I

InspectHerGadget

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Skype?
I suppose I could do that.

I tested Skype on my desktop and it is fine using the metro app.

I just reinstalled the modern Skype and it is the same as before.

I tried the Skype for desktop with the same results.

If it is at 100%, the volume is just adequate for calls but only in a quiet room.

I'm not sure what is going on here.

I just tried this on my Windows 8.1 Toshiba cheapie and I could hear the recorded message and my recorded playback adequately at 40%, clear as a bell at 50% and too loud at 100%.

On my Surface Pro 3, it is useless at 40%, only just audible overall at 50%. At 100% the volume is just adequate in a quiet room.

Unfortunately, it just isn't good enough for general purpose use, not without headphones.

The surprising thing is that this doesn't seem to be the general experience of other people.

I've changed my mind about YouTube. A Seinfeld video really needed to be up quite high to hear the dialogue.

I use my SP3 mainly for business and I just turn the sound up if I need it. What has hit me here is that the full volume really isn't adequate for some things such as Skype, not over the speakers.

I might take try to compare this to a unit at a shop. The speakers on my device are simply not powerful enough and I find it hard to believe that this is normal.

toaf

Go to Control Panel. 2. Go to Sound. 3. Click on Speakers. 4. Click on Properties. 5. Click on Enhancements. 6. Check the Loudness Equalization option. 7. Apply your changes.
something like that. give me a few to figure it out. but i did something like that

OP
I

InspectHerGadget

Go to Control Panel. 2. Go to Sound. 3. Click on Speakers. 4. Click on Properties. 5. Click on Enhancements. 6. Check the Loudness Equalization option. 7. Apply your changes.
something like that. give me a few to figure it out. but i did something like that
I did look there but under Enhancements it just says 'enabled'.

I've run out of options, it is just too quiet for my ears on Skype and yet the sound is working and can be adjusted.

toaf

ya i noticed only the enable box now too.. i KNOW i did that when my surface was new. gona take a few days to find out. small chance realtec has software for the boost