What's new

Sleep crash

Genie

Hi,

My Surface pro 2 seems to always crash if I let it sleep and turn it back on later. Anyone else have this problem or know work around?

benjitek

Not sure what you mean by 'crash', but mine often just won't turn back on. I have to do that key-combo (I think it's simultaneously holding the volume-up and power key) until I see the Surface logo and it reboots. Very annoying, and definitely a stark contrast to what my experience was with an iPad -- it always turned on as expected when I hit the power switch. I only mention it as I just got a SP2, previously used an iPad. I also miss being able to hit the power switch just to black out the screen, my laptop has a key-combo to achieve that as well, but my Surface doesn't =(

jrapdx

Not sure what you mean by 'crash', but mine often just won't turn back on. I have to do that key-combo (I think it's simultaneously holding the volume-up and power key) until I see the Surface logo and it reboots. Very annoying, and definitely a stark contrast to what my experience was with an iPad -- it always turned on as expected when I hit the power switch. I only mention it as I just got a SP2, previously used an iPad. I also miss being able to hit the power switch just to black out the screen, my laptop has a key-combo to achieve that as well, but my Surface doesn't =(

Not sure this is exactly what you mean, but go to Control Panel - Power Options (or get there by the battery icon on the tray). There's an option labeled "Choose what the power button does", click it and the next dialog has settings you want, including initiating sleep state on pressing the power button.

At least it does work that way on my SP2...

benjitek

Not sure this is exactly what you mean, but go to Control Panel - Power Options (or get there by the battery icon on the tray). There's an option labeled "Choose what the power button does", click it and the next dialog has settings you want, including initiating sleep state on pressing the power button.

At least it does work that way on my SP2...

It aready attempt to 'got-to-sleep' when I press the power button, not sure what you're referring to, nothing I had a question about though. Thanks anyway for stopping by ;-)

dutchiedave

I am having this exact issue and so are others.

Not every time, but occasionally when I try to wake the computer the fan runs for a few seconds and the computer crashes. If you look at the event viewer, under system you can see events related to the crash.

I am awaiting the January firmware to see if it fixes it, otherwise I am returning the surface pro 2.

drolem

Look in the event log: if you see a bugcheck 9f there -- it's probably the Wi-Fi driver, but several other drivers can crash the SP2. Most bugchecks are driver related.

If you don't see any obvious reason there, it was a System Aggregator induced reset -- hopefully the new FW fixes it.

Rvacha

This is an old problem that my SP2 has had since Day One, prior to the bogus December firmware update. In my case the only clue to be found in Event Viewer are unexpected restarts - but the timestamps ALWAYS corresponded with when I pushed the power button to wake it, not when it went to sleep. On the MS forums some people call this the "black screen of death". It appears to primarily (exclusively?) affect the 256GB and 512GB models (mine is 256GB)

My "fix" has been to configure the SP2 so it always goes into hibernate instead of sleep. That has worked flawlessly for me ... until a couple of days ago. Now inexplicably if I don't touch it and let it time out it won't always successfully hibernate - either it will sit there idle with display off (i.e. not sleeping) or *appear* to hibernate and then crash when I hit the power button. I'm going to keep it configured to hibernate since it is the less evil solution - I routinely had 4-5 crashes a day prior so this is still an improvement

macmee

I have the exact same problem, 256GB. Had it since day one.

This is an old problem that my SP2 has had since Day One, prior to the bogus December firmware update. In my case the only clue to be found in Event Viewer are unexpected restarts - but the timestamps ALWAYS corresponded with when I pushed the power button to wake it, not when it went to sleep. On the MS forums some people call this the "black screen of death". It appears to primarily (exclusively?) affect the 256GB and 512GB models (mine is 256GB)

My "fix" has been to configure the SP2 so it always goes into hibernate instead of sleep. That has worked flawlessly for me ... until a couple of days ago. Now inexplicably if I don't touch it and let it time out it won't always successfully hibernate - either it will sit there idle with display off (i.e. not sleeping) or *appear* to hibernate and then crash when I hit the power button. I'm going to keep it configured to hibernate since it is the less evil solution - I routinely had 4-5 crashes a day prior so this is still an improvement

Is there a way to make it hibernate instead of sleep if it turns off from being idle? I setup my power button to hibernate but not sure about idle.

Rvacha

All I did was to set the sleep time to something longer than the hibernate time. On battery for example it is set to hibernate in 5 minutes, sleep in 10 minutes. This USED to work flawlessly until a couple days ago :-(

girarcat

I am having this exact issue and so are others.

Not every time, but occasionally when I try to wake the computer the fan runs for a few seconds and the computer crashes. If you look at the event viewer, under system you can see events related to the crash.

I am awaiting the January firmware to see if it fixes it, otherwise I am returning the surface pro 2.

Exactly the same happens to my SP2 (mine is the 128Gb model). I press the power button or tap the screen to wake it up and sometimes the fans start working for a few seconds and it shuts down.

OP
G

Genie

Hi, I just checked event log and there seem to be "Critical - Kernel-Power", "Error - Bugcheck". I get sense there is no work around for sleep/crash issue? I got 256Gb version. I was thinking about hibernation but I thought it might not be good for SSD as it use SSD more. It kind of suck to hear tho it stopped working for a member.

Rvacha

Other than hibernate I don't think there can be a fix until MS fixes it. The more I read about others' experiences the more I tend to think that what MS is fighting is a bunch of simultaneous issues at once as opposed to a collection of unrelated problems that can be solved one-by-one. I hope I am wrong since the implication is a LONG wait for a true fix