What's new

Solved "Sleep" Disappeared from my Surface 4 Pro

momen888

After the windows update on early June I noticed that there is no more Sleep option on Surface 4 Pro. The physical button up doesn't do anything anymore.
I tried contacting Microsoft but no answer but the annoying virtual assistant.
I tried (powercfg /a) in command prompt and got the results attached below. I did a check with the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit from Microsoft's website and it told me that "Modern Standby" was disabled.
What to do to get that option back? Now I have to shutdown the device after every use if not at the office. This defeats the purpose of having a surface device !!
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
OP
M

momen888

Well, I'm trying to avoid resetting as much as possible. Last time I reset another device and things got much worse. It was working fine, the sleep just disappeared after an update. Why can't fixing things be easy as messing them up?!
I am looking for another solution if possible. If not, probably I have to reset it but with it goes any privilege I thought a Microsoft device would have. It just proves that it is as messed up as my old Samsung!!

OP
M

momen888

Yes I did. Actually, the first time I noticed the option was missing was when it finished updating, I put it in my bag and forgot about it for the weekend. Later I discovered that the battery had run out and it wasn't sleeping. The sleep option just wasn't there anymore. I tried hard shutdown even draining it again out of battery but no use.
There is something that was updated and disabled Modern Standby.
I even reinstalled the drivers from Microsoft's webpage.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You might consider becoming a Windows Insider, Fast Ring. A side benefit, besides cool new features, is that your Windows 10 is freshly installed with no loss of files every week or two, as you desire.

OP
M

momen888

You might consider becoming a Windows Insider, Fast Ring. A side benefit, besides cool new features, is that your Windows 10 is freshly installed with no loss of files every week or two, as you desire.

I just did so, and it worked :D
My surface now is back to normal...
Thanks for the advice :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent! There are firmware and software combinations in these new builds that seem to have solved your issues

Marking Solved.