What's new

Sleep/Hibernate (or lack of) SP4 i5/i7

WallaWallaJoe.com

There are three of us having issues. We started with a SP4 i5/16GB/512GB and moved to a SP4 i7/16GB/512GB. We are running the latest Windows 10 (Insiders). And we are are both experiencing an annoying PITA issue. Closing the cover, pushing the power button becomes a game of roulette. 9 times out of 10, the machine must be powered off to get it to come back on. At least with our SP3, it had a Windows button on the screen so you could tell if the machine was off or in the BUZZ-BUZZ-BUZZ mode, where you hit the on screen WIN button and it would give you a buzz. So at least you knew it was still "trying". But with the SP4, MS in their infinite wisdom removed the WIN-power indicator from the screen.

So back to the issue. Why is it that when the SP3 came out, we had THE SAME EXACT ISSUES. Now the SP4 comes out, and on two different models, 5 devices, SAME ISSUE.

I can put the sucker into HIBERNATE, and come down in the morning and find it's warm, battery almost dead. HIBERNATED!!! Sleep is even worse. Fan cranks away. Come one. Get your act together MS. Release the hardware WHEN IT WORKS, don't put these out as usable devices, not a world wide beta test while you fix the firmware!

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

If I only looked at posts on this forum I would be concerned that I was going to experience some of the problems I see that people are having, including the sleep issues. 4 SP4s have been in my office. One is mine, 2 have been delivered to customers and I'm delivering another this afternoon. None have had those problems. All are stock and fully updated. The one significant change I made to all 4 is to turn WiFi off during sleep. I also told all 4 to go into sleep 60 minutes after closing the lid, the default is 120.

The main instructions I'm giving the users is that if at all possible close all apps before putting it to sleep, (closng the lid). None are using hibernate. Only once have I had mine appear to have been awake after closing the lid for several hours, but it was not warm and the battery use was nominal so I'm not sure what was going on and consider that as a fluke. I have also changed the default browser to either IE or Firefox. All now have Windows Hello turned on. None, so far, are using any 3rd party security software though that may be my next step on mine.

If I close the lid and open it 15-30 minutes later a short tap on the power button wakes it up, if I open it 5 minutes after closing I only need to swipe the screen. (without Hello it requires a PIN). If I wait over an hour I need to power it back up, not quite like a full boot but close. Have had, after the first day, not one video driver issue and not one noticeable crash of any kind. I say it that way because the system log says I had a hardware fault, not related to the video drivers, but I never saw the problem even though it was logged.

polbit

leeshor, one clarifying question - what do you mean by "go to sleep after 60 minutes"? Did you mean to say hibernate after 60 minutes? The only setting I can find for sleep under advanced settings is "hibernate after". That's actually how I have mine set, but that does mean that the SP4 is hibernating most of the time, not sleeping, "solving" sleep battery drain issue, at least for now...

EMINENT

These are definitely valid grievances. If you weren't fully needing a specific feature of the SP4, it would be comical to entertain dealing with what you are for the average or first time user.

These wild behaviors everyone is experiencing can be really perplexing especially after a month from launch. I've past my return period and can now only hope for the best. I am confident things will get better, but it needs to happen fast.

I had mine set for 30 min hibernate on the last update and experienced approximately 1% hour drain over night after 8 hours.

I updated to the new Intel beta driver this morning and i'll report back what it does.

EMINENT

leeshor, one clarifying question - what do you mean by "go to sleep after 60 minutes"? Did you mean to say hibernate after 60 minutes? The only setting I can find for sleep under advanced settings is "hibernate after". That's actually how I have mine set, but that does mean that the SP4 is hibernating most of the time, not sleeping, "solving" sleep battery drain issue, at least for now...

I remember CS was after 4 hours. In advanced, Hibernate is where it's defaulted to 120 mins.

What is the difference here and according to some, CS should get the best battery savings which won't happen if it's hibernating at 120 mins. or other, correct?

OP
WallaWallaJoe.com

WallaWallaJoe.com

Leeshor, I turned off the wifi while sleeping, and have tried closing, reopening, several times during the morning football games, never has failed yet. Also, no longer stays/gets warm either. Although this is a workaround, I still think that if other manufacturers can do it (we have a couple of cheap-o-Yoga 8's and they NEVER have an issue), M$ should be able to do it.

leeshor

I probably should have made that more clear. Hibernate is actually the setting under sleep in the advanced options. I already had turned WiFi off during sleep. I just can't find a reason to leave it on unless it's for notifications. I use my phone for that.

OP
WallaWallaJoe.com

WallaWallaJoe.com

Getting really tired of bringing this SP4 in, and finding that it rebooted while it was asleep. Looking in the logs, it has several of these:

ACPI: Event ID: 15: The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.

Followed by: Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.

The pattern for this kiss of death is, having it set aside, asleep, plugged in. Then, while asleep, unplug it (as in, take it with me) and it does this.

It is becoming a PAIN to have to shut this POS down EVERY TIME you want to move. You may as well use a desktop.

EMINENT

Getting really tired of bringing this SP4 in, and finding that it rebooted while it was asleep. Looking in the logs, it has several of these:

ACPI: Event ID: 15: The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.

Followed by: Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.

The pattern for this kiss of death is, having it set aside, asleep, plugged in. Then, while asleep, unplug it (as in, take it with me) and it does this.

It is becoming a PAIN to have to shut this POS down EVERY TIME you want to move. You may as well use a desktop.

I haven't had any auto reboots or ever seen that message before. I5 256/8 here.

polbit

I probably should have made that more clear. Hibernate is actually the setting under sleep in the advanced options. I already had turned WiFi off during sleep. I just can't find a reason to leave it on unless it's for notifications. I use my phone for that.

Ok, that makes sense :) Although with hibernate kicking in after 60 minutes, I don't see much difference with battery life, plus at least at home, the wife takes a while to reconnect, so leave that setting on.

leeshor

Ok, that makes sense :) Although with hibernate kicking in after 60 minutes, I don't see much difference with battery life, plus at least at home, the wife takes a while to reconnect, so leave that setting on.
You need to have a conversation with your wife. ;);)