What's new

Sleep is not really sleep

PCAnyWhere

I have discovered multiple times now that when I'm packing up to leave the office that I put my SP3 to sleep. Probably at least 3 times with the type cover closed method and 3 times with the power button and I put my SP3 in my bag or put it away only to return hours later from commuting or back to use my SP3 and low and behold it was not asleep at all. twice I have found it heating up my bag - doesn't get hotter than 80C so I don't think that it is over heating but the fan has no wear to exhaust so the body is warm.

The other times is out on a table in sleep mode (or so I thought) only to find that the battery has drained.

So in both cases the bad part is that I am expecting to have quite a bit of battery remaining only to find it in critical status.

I suspect it is all of the applications I leave open. IE, Outlook, Chrome, Powerpoint, Excel etc. but that's the reason for sleep vs. shutdown anyway - so I can pick up where I left off.

I have caught myself a few times pushing my SP3 in to my bag and clicking the pen and most likely waking up OneNote.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As has been pointed out many times elsewhere, consider shutting down chrome, it's a cpu hog.

And no, pressing the power button does not put it to sleep, it p[uts it in connected standby, and any programs not designed for this may continue to run in the background using up battery.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't really sleep anymore either. I find myself getting up multiple times a night so I guess the next rime I speak to the doctor about it we'll discuss connected standby and perhaps do a sleepstudy because getting up too often when you should be sleeping can sure drain your power. :D

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have discovered multiple times now that when I'm packing up to leave the office that I put my SP3 to sleep. Probably at least 3 times with the type cover closed method and 3 times with the power button and I put my SP3 in my bag or put it away only to return hours later from commuting or back to use my SP3 and low and behold it was not asleep at all. twice I have found it heating up my bag - doesn't get hotter than 80C so I don't think that it is over heating but the fan has no wear to exhaust so the body is warm.

The other times is out on a table in sleep mode (or so I thought) only to find that the battery has drained.

So in both cases the bad part is that I am expecting to have quite a bit of battery remaining only to find it in critical status.

I suspect it is all of the applications I leave open. IE, Outlook, Chrome, Powerpoint, Excel etc. but that's the reason for sleep vs. shutdown anyway - so I can pick up where I left off.

I have caught myself a few times pushing my SP3 in to my bag and clicking the pen and most likely waking up OneNote.
There is actually a term for it...its called "Hot Bagging", typically is caused when a Win32 App or Service refuses to suspend and prevent the SP3 from going into Connected Standby (I've only had happen once since the Novemeber Firmware Update). Using the PowerCfg reports (Sleep Study, Energy and Battery) to narrow down the offending application.

bluegrass

I don't really sleep anymore either. I find myself getting up multiple times a night so I guess the next rime I speak to the doctor about it we'll discuss connected standby and perhaps do a sleepstudy because getting up too often when you should be sleeping can sure drain your power. :D

Wonderful observation. I purchased the Microsoft Band so it can monitor how well I sleep. I prefer to relax with some vaporized herb and do a complete shutdown when I go to bed.

Does anyone know the definition of sleep and is it different than connected standby. People have told me I'm "old school" and I guess I am, because I do a shutdown all the time if I'm not going to use my computer for an hour or more or if I'm going to pack it away in it's bag. I also like to close apps when I'm finished using them. Most apps run faster with more free memory.

ptrkhh

Does anyone know the definition of sleep and is it different than connected standby.
From consumer point of view, CS can be seen as just turning off the display instead of putting the whole computer to sleep. Think of it like pressing the power button on the iPhone. That means, alarms will ring, tiles will be updated, e-mail will be received, etc.

Well, that's a very simplified way to see it. CS actually puts the computer to the similar sleep mode, but it allows some apps to run periodically (without turning on the screen). That's why alarms can ring, e-mails can be received, and tiles are updated.

It, however, only applies for the metro world. In the desktop world, connected standby is the same thing as sleep, except that some programs have some room to misbehave because certain hardware components are active periodically.

I also like to close apps when I'm finished using them. Most apps run faster with more free memory.
We now prefer apps to open quickly rather than having it running slightly faster, because we now use one particular app for far less time in one session than we used to. ADHD anyone?
You can, of course, stick to your preferences, but I think metro apps are optimized to be opened once instead of being killed and booted each time.

OP
PCAnyWhere

PCAnyWhere

As has been pointed out many times elsewhere, consider shutting down chrome, it's a cpu hog.

And no, pressing the power button does not put it to sleep, it p[uts it in connected standby, and any programs not designed for this may continue to run in the background using up battery.

ah yes, I just found the option that permits (and disables) allowing running Chrome in the background. I just disabled it so now I'm going to see how this affects things while in connected standby

OP
PCAnyWhere

PCAnyWhere

Consider turning Airplane Mode on while you're on the go, it'll save some extra juice.

I am not too worried about the battery drain ... well I am but more important to me is the fact that it wakes up when I do not expect it. packed away in a bag or left on the table.

zhenya

I specifically pinpointed Chrome as a frequent offender for my sleep issues and battery drains. IE plays much nicer and provides a more reliable experience.

Chris Grew

I have exactly the same problem.

Every time I leave the office or home or go to bed, I thought I was putting the SP3 to sleep by pressing the on/off button or putting the keyboard case on.

More of a problem when I am on the road in my motorhome and need to conserve power. Overnight it can run down to almost nothing.

In simple terms how do we put the SP3 to sleep - no jargon now! Or are you all saying that shutting down Chrome will solve the problem?

Best regards

Chris