What's new

Sleep issues...

JamesStill

Well I'd been looking forward to the SP4 for a while now and got it two days ago (UK release date). At the moment I'm almost convinced to return it - I'm hoping someone here can convince me not to.

It's the i5/8gb/256gb model and I've just added a 128gb sd card.

My main complaint is the battery. Not sure about general use yet as I've not used it much, just been installing everything on it. I've done every update on it and have installed Office 16, visio 16, project 16, visual studio community and Cover (store app for reading comics). That's everything I've done.

I really liked Hello but have since disabled it for the usual reasons.

My battery in sleep mode wiped out 45% to nothing in two hours yesterday afternoon. This is what prompted me to get rid of Hello.

Overnight the battery dropped from 42% to 33% in 8 hours, so not bad, but then in the next two hours it lost another 10%. 7% of the first drop happened in the first two hours sleep (before hibernation). The drop of 10% showed the graphics driver as main energy use which I find odd as it's off!

After reading messages online it certainly looks like it's the active sleep thing that's an issue (I have also turned off wifi when sleeping to prevent anything updating).

I've now set the system to hibernate after 15 mins sleep in the hope that it'll prevent this problem in the meantime.

I'm reasonably optimistic that this will be fixed with a FW update, but I'm worries that this might not get fixed and that not everyone has the problem - so could it be defective hardware? If that's the case I'd rather just return it and get another one.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I just hibernate it all the time for now and wait it out. I don't want to miss the 14 day return period...

Thanks for any advice / help.

OP
J

JamesStill

also it's just refused to wake up from sleep again leading to holding power button and vol up until it restarts (in the uefi screen).

jbowden

also it's just refused to wake up from sleep again leading to holding power button and vol up until it restarts (in the uefi screen).
After the Nov. update, I had this issue twice in 8 hours. I ended up returning my SP4 because of the bugs. Surface team should step it up and address several key issues. Display driver crash, sleep issues, battery life draining.

EMINENT

You need to give it a few days. My battery report is now showing 8+ hours the last couple days.

Also, check your backgrounded apps and turn off all the ones you don't need running and notifications too.