What's new

Sleep mode when watching video content?

mightyboyev

Is it a function of the app to suspend the sleep mode during video playing or the OS? I have a number of video players with the same issue….

Most annoying to change the standard 2 min sleep mode setting every time you play a video. Seems any easy issue to solve but an oversight? What am I missing here??

Thanks

Bruce

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Normally, the video playback isn't affected by the standby - neither will the screen go dark nor will the playback stop (even if you turn off the screen with the power-switch, the audio-track should be playing in the background, just like music). Only problem i've noticed so far is a little hick-up, if i use the second-screen-only setup and have the type-cover attached and fold this up.
Do you've updated your surface and what sort of apps you're using?

OP
M

mightyboyev

Thanks Mr.NK,

I agree this normally should not happen.

I have just tested with the type-cover removed and same problem after 2 minutes.

The 2 apps I am using are "Movies Player" and "SBS on demand" (I live in Australia so use SBS)

All updates (apps and RT) are current.

I found this reference about it:

"For developers of Windows apps, they need to call the WinRT DisplayRequest.RequestActive function to keep the screen on and machine awake"

Is there a video player you could recommend for testing that you have found does not to have this issue??

Cheers

Bruce

Rallicat

Certainly, my experience of Microsoft's built-in Metro video player is that the screen stays awake during video playback.

From the look of the reference you found, it would seem the app developers have neglected to build in the right behaviour. Of course, what you want is for the screen to stay awake during playback only (not all the time the app is running .. you might pause the video, and thus be OK with the screen going to sleep for example).

My advice is that if the built in Video app does not fit your needs, try looking for other players in the store that are either free, or have a free trial that you can use to test, or alternatively you could try contacting the developer of one of the apps you're using for support.

OP
M

mightyboyev

Just tested the same movie using the standard MS video player and you are 100% correct.....

Thanks for that.

Will notify the developers of the other two apps accordingly. Unfortunate that these apps get published without being live tested! Doesn't help support a new product....

Cheers

Bruce

Surface5280

Interesting because I noticed that as well this week when playing a video. I've only had my Surface for a few days. I hope they get bugs like this fixed in a upcoming update!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Interesting because I noticed that as well this week when playing a video. I've only had my Surface for a few days. I hope they get bugs like this fixed in a upcoming update!

In this case it is an app developer bug. If you want it to get fixed you should contact the app developer and make them aware of the issue as Bruce has done. The more bug notices they get from users of their app the more likely they will be to update it.

JP

OP
M

mightyboyev

Just a quick update, the app update today for "SBS on Demand" has fixed the sleep issue and all is good now.... Thanks to the app developer for such fast service.
Cheers
Bruce
PS The other system updates today are very welcome as well!