What's new

Sleep or Shut Down?

saidgta

Yes hibernation on my system drains < 0.5% per hours and frequently a lot less. It depends on how long I leave it sleeping because it uses some battery for that first 30 minutes.

In settings - Systems - Power and Sleep - Wi-Fi. There is also a setting to turn Cortana off when you are away and a few other nice settings there.
Are you sure hibernation drains battery?!
But hibernation is "Shut Down with Ram backup"!
Why a system drains battery when was turned off?!

OP
D

DavidZ

No, I don't think hibernation drains the battery. I think leeshor was combining his total shut down time, including sleep and then hibernation after 30 minutes and taking an average.

OP
D

DavidZ

Leave your Surface in hibernation for a day.I assure you you will suffer battery loss

That's true for any device with a rechargeable battery. The question here is one of relative battery loss. I haven't done any testing, but my guess is that the SP4's battery loss during sleep is more than 10 times the battery loss during hibernation. I wouldn't be surprised if the difference were a lot more than 10 times.

Are you saying that the SP4's battery loss during hibernation is more than one would expect from other devices when they're turned off?

leeshor

I need to apologize and clarify. The settings I changed in advanced power settings were for sleep, not hibernate. A portion of the battery loss, at least in my case, is that it is essentially in standby mode for 30 minutes after I close it. If I'm not going to use my SP4 for an extended time, say over night, I just do a shutdown. With Hello running I can be at a working desktop in 16 seconds from a cold start.

OP
D

DavidZ

I need to apologize and clarify. The settings I changed in advanced power settings were for sleep, not hibernate.

OK, now I'm confused. When I go into Advanced Setting, the only option under Sleep is when to hibernate.

A portion of the battery loss, at least in my case, is that it is essentially in standby mode for 30 minutes after I close it.

I presume that by "standby" you mean Sleep, correct?

leeshor

I may be making an assumption here but sleep appears to be what it's doing for that 30 minutes but there is another setting, lid closed action, and it says sleep. (which comes first the chicken or the egg), But you are correct, the option under sleep says hibernate. I never actually told my SP not to use CS but it effectively isn't since I told it not to use WiFi when sleeping. Call me an oddball. ;)

On your second note I supposed it is sleeping since it wake with the lock screen when I open it.

OP
D

DavidZ

Here's my interpretation of the Sleep setting. Whenever the SP4 goes to sleep, you tell it how many minutes before it goes into hibernation. For example, you have selected for your SP4 to go to sleep when you close the lid and to hibernate after 30 minutes of sleep. So, when you close the lid, it goes to sleep for 30 minutes and then hibernates. I don't see any conflict or ambiguity there.

What is CS?

OP
D

DavidZ

OK, yes, I've seen that term used. I did a quick search and it's actually a Microsoft specification that started with Windows 8.

The bottom line is that Connected Standby means that your computer is in a Sleep state and is available for action. So, Connected Standby is a special form of Sleep.

leeshor

As an aside, my first mistake today was getting out of bed. The second one was trying to be intelligent on the forum while doing 5 other things. ;)

It's been a really long day.

Yes CS is a "form" of sleep. The problem people have had with it, not just on the Surface tablets, (and it wasn't really a Windows 8 thing without supporting hardware), is that things have tended to run while in CS, so if people left Edge, or something else, open when going into CS sleep it has caused untold problems with battery life. The hardware specs are pretty specific and desktop PCs for the most part aren't compliant with CS. So far it has been limited to a very few Windows tablets.

saidgta

I have an old tablet pc Lenovo thinkpad tablet 2.
When my Thinkpad is in sleep mode, the battery drain is less than 15% per day, about 7 days battery life...
But my surface pro 4 is about 1 day....