What's new

Slow scrolling in modern UI Internet Explorer is jerky, choppy and not smooth

DumperSP

Hi at all,

one week ago, I have received my new Surface Pro 3 i7 256GB. No big issues at all. But I have my “old” Surface Pro 2 i5, too, and I am comparing some things with the Surface Pro 2.

To be exact…the scrolling behavior in the modern UI Internet Explorer:

When I go e.g. to “google.de” and enter some search words like “car” (multiple results should be there to scroll up and down) and the results appear, then put your finger on the screen and leave them there and scroll up and down very slowly. This is very jerky, choppy and not smooth. In comparison with the Surface Pro 2, it is horrible. On the Surface Pro 2 everything is very smooth and clear while very slow scrolling up and down in the modern UI Internet Explorer, but not on Surface Pro 3.

This behavior is on all websites with text to scroll. Please note: A little quick tap and slide away the finger from screen is very smooth (in this situation the browser scrolls automatically a couple of lines)!

Driver/updates: All updates and drivers are up to date including the current November firmware update. No newer updates are available in Windows Update etc. With or without AC connection, no improvement. With or without deactivation Add-ons in the Internet Explorer, no improvement, too.

Please note that I would be very useful to have a Surface Pro 2 to validate this issue, because you probably don’t see this scrolling issue without a direct comparison with a smooth scrolling like with the Surface Pro 2.

Can anyone reproduce this behavior and help me?

Many thanks in advance.

Gerke

Looks like the same issue I had when connected to my AVM Fritz!box 7390 with firmware 6.07 International. I now use Ubiquiti Unifi Accespoints where it runs smoothly now

Grumpy2

I have the same issues on my iPad using Safari. The page takes ages to load and jumps all over the place. No problems with IE MUI or IE Desktop on my Sp3 i7/256.

Strange. My MUI IE scrolling is very smooth (screen scrolling). Only problem I have a problem with on the MUI is that sometimes websites or if I just swipe back, it takes forever to load.

Snickers

The only MUI app that gives me any trouble is Mail - scrolling can sometimes be jerky, and if I close the app with the Mouse it dumps me to a blank blue screen rather than the start screen. Press the windows key and it goes back to start screen. Weird.

OP
D

DumperSP

"load and jumps all over the place"
There is no jump in my situation. If you cannot compare this with a smooth SP2 scrolling, you will not see that issue. I went to Media Markt and the SP3 in the shop has the same scrolling issues in MUI Internet Explorer. So i assume that every SP3 has this scrolling issue? This is what i would like to clarify.

"Looks like the same issue I had when connected to my AVM Fritz!box 7390 with firmware 6.07 International. I now use Ubiquiti Unifi Accespoints where it runs smoothly now"
Sorry, there is no logical link between the problem and an access point. My SP2 comparison was done with the same access point!

Hope anyone can help me.

JohnR

I have the same unit you do, SP3 i7 256GB. Tried the google.de and 'cat' search as well as Media Markt.de and in both cases the scrollong was smooth, pages loaded very fast. I didn't experience any hesitation no matter how fast or slow I moved my finger in any direction on the screen.

OP
D

DumperSP

Oh sorry, "Media Markt" is a german electronic shop :) So i testet the SP3 locally in the Shop and there was the same issue :-(

Do you have a comparison with a surface pro 2?

OP
D

DumperSP

Damn, i cannot make a Video, because i could not found an suitable working Screen recording program for Windows surfaces and 8.1 :-( so the best way is to compare with a Surface pro 2 like i have described initial.

Gerke

Sorry, there is no logical link between the problem and an access point. My SP2 comparison was done with the same access point!

Hope anyone can help me.

Yes there is. The chipset in SP3 is different from the on in SP2.
If you search, you can see several problems with the Marvel Wifi chip in the SP3.
AVM has stated to work for bad wifiperformance with the mentioned Marvel chipset used in SP3.
Try the same test with another wifi accesspoint or router, probably your problem isn't there anymore