What's new

Slow wifi when using bluetooth mouse

Ruriko

When ever I use my bluetooth mouse my wifi starts lagging bad. Is there any fix for this? I already updated to latest firmware and still lags

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When ever I use my bluetooth mouse my wifi starts lagging bad. Is there any fix for this? I already updated to latest firmware and still lags
Use 5GHz WiFi Bands and the lag will go away....Bluetooth and WiFi using 2.4GHz causes the "Lag" you are experiencing, also known as Contention.

OP
R

Ruriko

my router doesn't support 5ghz :(
so is using wired mouse my only choice now? I just wish the usb port was on the right cause it feels weird having it on the left side

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like it time for a Router Upgrade :) I bought a Travel Router for work (we have Ethernet at our desks so I plug that into my travel router) so I can 5GHz AC for my SP3.

benjitek

Unfortunately this is a known hardware issue with the WiFi/Bluetooth Marvell Avastar 350N combo chip used in the SP2. When both Bluetooth and WiFi are being used, WiFi speeds are reduced by approximately half.

It was supposedly addressed in numerous firmware updates when the SP2 was the current model, however, nothing ever changed -- Microsoft doesn't bother any longer.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately this is a known hardware issue with the WiFi/Bluetooth Marvell Avastar 350N combo chip used in the SP2. When both Bluetooth and WiFi are being used, WiFi speeds are reduced by approximately half.

It was supposedly addressed in numerous firmware updates when the SP2 was the current model, however, nothing ever changed -- Microsoft doesn't bother any longer.
It's likely a limitation of the Marvell chip but others may not be any better.

leeshor

I see that same complaint on many different tablets. I'm not certain it's only the Marvell chip.

benjitek

It's likely a limitation of the Marvell chip but others may not be any better.
It is apparently fixed in new versions of the Avastar chipset, so any device that has the 350N has the same issue. Would be less of an issue if there were a straightforward way to force a 5ghz connection in the settings of my SP2.