What's new

slow wireless network download speed

ggbri

My SP3 is running Windows 10. The transfer speed is very slow when I download a several hundred MB file from my network hard-drive to the SP3 with an 802.11n wireless router. (it sometimes starts with several MB/s then it quickly goes down to 355 KB/s or even 0 KB/s.) Upload speed from SP3 to network drive is ok (several MB/s).

My 2 other computers (different brands and different OS) have good transfer speeds so I think the problem is with the SP3.

I contacted Microsoft support and they asked me to do a 2-key restart (volume up and power) which works for a while then the problem returns. They also asked me to uninstall and reinstall the wireless network driver. This did not help. Then they asked me to reset the SP3 which I haven't tried.

Anything else I can try before I reset the SP3 by removing all my apps & settings?

Thank you...

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Which driver are you using? The June and July drivers have issues, there is an August Driver but I believe it is only on the Insider Builds of TH2. If you have the March or April Driver, roll back to it and it should improve your download speeds.

OP
G

ggbri

Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller:
Driver Date: 8/28/2015
Driver Version: 15.68.9030.41

OP
G

ggbri

Go to Device Manager... Network adapters... right click AVASTAR Network Controller... Uninstall... DO NOT check delete the driver software...

Reboot and the system will reinstall the latest driver

gbenrus25

With this driver, I've been getting quite a few "Cannot connect to website" and having to keep refreshing. What has happened to Windows 10?

No problems here. Ultra fast WiFi from my SP3. Speed is slightly lower than my 300 Mbps internet plan due to other clients streaming videos and other stuff:
4743406425.png

Capture.PNG

OP
G

ggbri

I have ok speed uploading or downloading to/from the internet. My problem is transferring files from my network hard drive to the SP3 thru' the wireless router.