What's new

Slow

Mrzocor

How come the Surface 3 is so ungodly slow? I think the RT is faster. Some videos take 3 or 4 minutes to load in.
Not to mention how jerky it is on some websites. Click on links, multiple times before it does anything. Should have known better to get anything Microsoft. Junk!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't experienced this with the 3, what OS version are you running? Which browser are you using? Flash, mp4 or HTML5 formatted video?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
"should have known better than to get anything microsoft. Junk"

Hmm. Maybe you ought not to be so broad in your criticism.

I also find the S3 to be slow. My opinion is that it is like most tablets out there. Nothing special in terms of horsepower and responsiveness, and as such I find it perfectly capable as a tablet and on par with everything else I've used. When I try and use it as a laptop though, then yes, I do notice the speed, such as opening up applications etc. As to jerky websites, I encounter countless jerky unresponsive websites every single day due to all the stuff they want you to load up, and that is when using my gaming desktop rig.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Start with using an Adblocker. Over a year ago the AD industry admitted they went over the top on ADs and vowed to improve. however this was total lip service as they have only gotten worse since then. I assure you an RT is slower, :) I have both. If that is not your experience your s3 may be experiencing a problem. Answers to those questions Jnjroach asked would help us help you. If you came just to rant, mission accomplished.

Gus

As a tablet, my S3 is great. My only problem is that touch is messed up in Chrome. Videos are smooth and sound is fine. I don't find it slow at all for what I use it for.

Since I am creative cloud user and my desktop is my main computer, I installed my second license on my S3 just to see how it would handle it. Using my phone as my camera I have no problem opening small images and playing with them. I was amazed that Lightroom even installed.

Word and Excel seem to work with no problems.

I have no problem reading mail and paying my bills. I spend more time on my S3 than my desktop or my thinkpad.

Maybe you are just a MAC user and don't know it yet.

Turbo4AWD

Anniversary Update yet? That or firmware update from earlier this month. After installing the anniversary update alone I noticed a huge performance increase. Really impressed with the speed difference! Definitely did not run slow for me....

OP
M

Mrzocor

I haven't experienced this with the 3, what OS version are you running? Which browser are you using? Flash, mp4 or HTML5 formatted video?
Anniversary Update yet? That or firmware update from earlier this month. After installing the anniversary update alone I noticed a huge performance increase. Really impressed with the speed difference! Definitely did not run slow for me....
As a tablet, my S3 is great. My only problem is that touch is messed up in Chrome. Videos are smooth and sound is fine. I don't find it slow at all for what I use it for.

Since I am creative cloud user and my desktop is my main computer, I installed my second license on my S3 just to see how it would handle it. Using my phone as my camera I have no problem opening small images and playing with them. I was amazed that Lightroom even installed.

Word and Excel seem to work with no problems.

I have no problem reading mail and paying my bills. I spend more time on my S3 than my desktop or my thinkpad.

Maybe you are just a MAC user and don't know it yet.
If I just wanted something to read E-mails and pay bills I would have stuck with a Pentium 386.

Turbo4AWD

Personally, I wouldn't dare use a Surface 3 to game or edit videos. iPad can't do that either. Maybe a Surface Pro 4, but its still doubtful. Would have to buy a laptop for that kind of work.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If I just wanted something to read E-mails and pay bills I would have stuck with a Pentium 386.
You quoted me but didn't add any useful information so that we can attempt to help....again give us more info