What's new

So chuffed but...

Dancoopbronjoe

Hello

Just registered to the forum so hello everyone.

Im Apple mad....Love my ipad but been getting frustrated as my ipad is so good for playing but not so good for business.

Took the plunge yesterday and got a Surface RT 64gb. SO CHUFFED! Better than I thought. Yes apps are a bit scarce but so was the apple store wehn it started. Give it time and I bet it will be on par or better than Apple as Microsoft not so strict.

Upgraded to 8.1 as I needed Outlook. Superb!

All better than I hoped bar one thing. I need to vew AutoCAD plans (Not mod them just view them)....Is there an app (As cant find one) which will allow this?

My Skydrive is all synced locally so I can have my files for my meetings. PDF's east but need to see CAD plans. I know I can covert Aotocad to PDF. but when a plan get emailed to me when im out I need it there and then.

Anyone have any ideas?!!?

oion

Hello

Just registered to the forum so hello everyone.

Im Apple mad....Love my ipad but been getting frustrated as my ipad is so good for playing but not so good for business.

Took the plunge yesterday and got a Surface RT 64gb. SO CHUFFED! Better than I thought. Yes apps are a bit scarce but so was the apple store wehn it started. Give it time and I bet it will be on par or better than Apple as Microsoft not so strict.

Upgraded to 8.1 as I needed Outlook. Superb!

All better than I hoped bar one thing. I need to vew AutoCAD plans (Not mod them just view them)....Is there an app (As cant find one) which will allow this?

My Skydrive is all synced locally so I can have my files for my meetings. PDF's east but need to see CAD plans. I know I can covert Aotocad to PDF. but when a plan get emailed to me when im out I need it there and then.

Anyone have any ideas?!!?

Heh, isn't "chuffed" a negative slang term? So I was confused by your happy post. :p But glad you like your new RT.

There is one app in the store I could find that supposedly is compatible with the "DXF" file format. RapidCAD--costs $2.99, but is available for demo. Try it out, but note the reviews as well... Another workaround I can think of is to use Remote Desktop to your home or work computer and view from there (must be a 'pro' or enterprise version, not 'home'); there are also free apps like Teamviewer and Splashtop if you want to remote into a 'home' Windows variant.

Omni

Chuffed is a term to mean 'better than expected' to my knowledge... I seem to remember someone else asking about CAD files awhile back. Try a search you should find it.

Bzee

You're both right about "chuffed".

Webster's Unabridged Dictionary:

chuffed1 (chuft), adj. Brit. Informal.
delighted; pleased; satisfied.
[1855–60; see CHUFF2, -ED2]

chuffed2 (chuft), adj. Brit. Informal.
annoyed; displeased; disgruntled.
[1825–35; cf. dial. (mainly S England) chuff, choff ill-tempered, surly, prob. to be identified with CHUFF1]

SEANT

Autodesk has yet to produce a Windows RT compatible app. Hopefully it is in the works - they do have apps for both iOS and Android. In the mean time, I've used the AutoCAD 360 website to host some drawings and viewed them via web connection (see screenshot). The web site, as well as the iOS/Droid apps offer a modest subset of drawing tools.

Also, drawings can be accessed with Remote Desktop. Having the ability to tether (Internet Sharing) to a smartphone will be quite handy for field work.

WRT accessing the AutoCAD drawing editor, the endeavor can be quite challenging on a tablet. Inputting command or selecting icons is difficult. Un-accessorized Tablet use may be the one endeavor that really highlights the value of the AutoCAD Ribbon. Setting up a Workspace with larger Ribbon icons will definitely help matters.

The other problem with using RT is the lack of a good "hover" capability. Without it, Object Snaps are almost impossible to employ. The Surface Pro may mitigate the problem with the digital pen. Certainly, a mouse eliminates the problem on either model.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    143.8 KB · Views: 525