What's new

So, do you ever use the Windows button?

BillJ

There are now other Windows tablets that are designed with Windows buttons on the side of the device rather than on the bottom front bezel. This seems to upset some people, whereas others don't mind at all.

I have to realize that the only time I use the front Windows button is to capture a screen shot. I never use it simply to access the Start screen.

So the question is, could you live without the button entirely?

Renigami

There are now other Windows tablets that are designed with Windows buttons on the side of the device rather than on the bottom front bezel. This seems to upset some people, whereas others don't mind at all.

I have to realize that the only time I use the front Windows button is to capture a screen shot. I never use it simply to access the Start screen.

So the question is, could you live without the button entirely?

If it was in the corner, not corresponding to my dominant hand, I would appreciate the Windows button more, since it CAN interfere with penning and drawing if I do not have my left hand fingers at least in contact with the active screen while having the pen cursor active or hovering.

But this is a case where designers went with form rather than function, since it sometimes interrupts function.

But I do use it, mostly in tablet form. Screen captures is a big one (Windows bezel button + Volume down). Rarely to never used, would be voice narration (Windows bezel button + Volume up).

OP
BillJ

BillJ

I see that many here do make use of the button.
I asked the question, because I think future iterations of Windows tablets may not need to have this extra hard button. Its absence would not make a difference to me.