What's new

So...has the SP3 replaced your laptop?

Nursedad

Curious to see what the crowd says about Microsoft's claim?

I have had the SP3 since release and have been using this as my only device. Prior to release, I was using a macbook pro. I haven't touched it since I got this device.

Of course...there have been some pain points, but they aren't the fault of the SP3 but rather the transition from Mac OS to Windows 8. I've found workarounds for most...including the duplication of my favorite mac utility Arthur with it's Windows counterpart Launchy.

From productivity to Photoshop to media consumption...this device has met my every need. I see no reason for that to change in the near future.

- - Jeff

scottysize

Yes. MacBook Pro is sold. It hasn't quite replaced my iPad, but that is work's iPad, so I guess I'm stuck with it for now.

pbaird

I have a work issued laptop I have to use for work, but other than that - The original Surface already replaced my tablet and laptop as my only device (besides a phone), so yes, this was a true upgrade for me.

bulls96

Never really had a laptop but was planning to buy one. So yes. Won't be carrying around my Surface rt and a laptop no more.

Thinking bout getting an 8 inch tablet though for use when I'm in bed.

kristalsoldier

Well, the SP3 replaced my Surface 2, which I was using partly in lieu of a laptop. It has also reduced my reliance on my desktop machine.

cdf3

As for me, I still use my MacBook Pro, but not as much as I used to.
My MacBook still has a better typing experience, especially when doing extensive typing with the device in my lap. I'm able to comfortably rest my palms on my MacBook Pro while typing. I can do this as well on my Surface Pro 3, but it makes the Type Cover rock back and forth a little while typing. It moves a lot if the keyboard is flat, and moves a little less when magnetically connected to the bottom bezel.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
TabletPCs replaced my laptop in 2003....there was about 6 months that I was using a Touch enabled Samsung Ultrabook with a Surface RT but I used the RT 90% of the time....

kodos

My Surface Pro 2 replaced my laptop, so I can see the SP3 being an even better replacement. The keyboard is the biggest hangup for me, but I used my laptop mostly docked anyway, so the same applies to the Surface Pro. I also use a Bluetooth Mouse with it when I am on the go.

The Power Cover (SP2) really made a huge difference in "lapability" on the SP2. The biggest problem with the SP2 is the touchpad, but that seems to be solved with the SP3.

vanhalo

For me yes.

It has replaced my IBM Thinkpad>Mac Mini>>SP2

I was going back and forth on the Mac Book Pro and the SP3 but the form factor and needs won over the SP3 for me. I cannot believe that any decision does not come with issues or sacrifices. Now I will probably want to upgrade again when the new SP4 comes out.