What's new

So...has the SP3 replaced your laptop?

gmtmaster79

Ever since I got my SP3 4GB/128GB, I don't see the use for my MBA 13 anymore. I even installed OSX Mavericks on VMWare, and it works pretty well. So I decided to sell the MBA 13 and then use the money to upgrade to 8GB/256GB model now, hope this will last more than 3 yrs :)

null4end

My SP3 has completely replaced my Helix. I travel frequently and have found it to be the perfect blend of size, power and convenience. Looking forward to the docking station that I preordered.

toaf

my surface pro 2 replaced my desktop. think i last turned it on 3 weeks ago. all hail docking stations.

p.s.
exterminate!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

Well I think it probably would as my SP1 replaced my RT and netbook combo. My Alienware M14x only comes out for gaming and thats starting to struggle with modern titles.

Rowan

It replaced my laptop, my super heavy and expensive school textbooks, and my notebook. A year ago I purchased a roller bag to carry my 100olbs of engineering books around with me while at school along with my laptop. I tried using my 7"galaxy tab for reading textbooks but the screen was just too small for technical books. The surface Pro 3 screen is large enough to handle engineering textbooks that I now buy on my Amazon or Nook Apps (and elsewhere when I can find them). I also had 2 3" binders for taking notes. A semester of engineering school can take nearly 1000 pages of notes, and these notes get lost easily. Now I have removed that as well and use one note. One note organizes my notes and thanks to the surfaces great pen and large screen it now handles all of my note taking. Since I got the I5 128GB I can handle most tasks my heavy engineering software needs. While I wish I had money for the I7 256GB the only time it has been and issue is when I am trying to simulate 5 or more systems in MatLab while also using word and surfing the web at the same time. The battery life is easily 3x or more what my old laptop had and it renders video in a much better way. So to answer you question, enthuisiastically, YES! Love my Surface Pro 3

dstrauss

I abandoned laptops for convertibles/tablets with an HP 2710p in 2009, and the Surface Pro 3 is now the end of a two year quest for a full time laptop capable tablet. Between the last two updates, battery life in sleep mode is terrific (no more drain) and network connectivity is solid. Although I would have loved a 512GB SSD, I have to admit that my 1TB OneDrive, coupled with 256GB onboard and 128GB in the mSDXC slot, should be ALL that any sane person should need.

As far as performance is concerned, the SPro 3 is the best ultrabook I've used yet (including a Dell XPS12, MacBook Air 2013, Yoga 2, and Acer Aspire V7), and the forthcoming dock should make it the perfect desktop replacement. Microsoft has hit a home run with this device, even if the general tech press won't recognize that.

mogwai

Yes, just earlier this week. 4 year old Dell work laptop, time for an upgrade to a newer laptop as I had put it off for almost a year. The i5 with 256SSD and keyboard cover was still about $300 less than my laptop options. As I have used a SPro2 for about a year, it was a no brainer though the rest of my firm is skeptical.

Yesterday, for the first time in my life (as a small test) I used the new SPro3 to takes handwritten notes during an hour long meeting. The result was extraordinary...I mean, once I got back to my desk, went to OneNote on my work computer, it was a paradigm shift in the way I think about using it now. So fantastically integrated with my normal daily workflow already (OneNote, OneDrive, MSFT Office).

$3@n

Yes, it has replaced both my Macbook Air and Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition. Other then a few software gliches here and there, it has been great.

clrk9000

Yes, it has definitely replaced my laptop. I never imagined how important and useful a touch screen and pen-based writing with detachable keyboard laptop would be.

NO, it has not replaced my Ipad though.

dougpaw57

The original Surface Pro replaced my laptop. I did upgrade to the Pro 2 and now the Pro 3. They just keep getting better.

tuchas

Right now I'm still not there. There is a single deal breaker that is really upsetting to me. Most people won't have to deal with this, but I do. I have several VMs that I use for development purposes. These VMs run Windows Server 2008 R2 and are generally over 100GB in size. Given that I have the i5/256GB model, to store just one VM locally would take up most of the free space.

But here is the kicker. I have a 480GB external USB 3.0 SSD drive which would work great. I could keep the VMs on the external drive and they would still run quite fast. The problem is that the USB port on the SP3 simply does not provide enough power to a bus-powered device. Reads are fine, but forget about writes. So now I am stuck with loading these VMs locally. Loading on the microSD is not an option - that would be slow as heck. The ONLY other solution is to bring a powered USB hub with me to handle the load of the SSD drive - one more thing I don't want to carry around with me. Needless to say I am a little upset about this.

If anyone has any other solutions, let me know. Thanks.