What's new

So...has the SP3 replaced your laptop?

mcsenerd

LOOKS like responders aren't using on laps with the keyboard. (Hey, tablet configuration removes a whole lot of need for a keyboard on the couch.)

I searched the responses. Only 2 specifically mentioned using on laps. Of those, one liked it and one didn't.

Ok... I'll give you my opinion about on-lap usage of the SP3. In my opinion, it's still much like the entire surface line. Is it usable? The answer is firmly, yes. Is it perfect or optimal? I'm afraid my answer there is no, no it is not. I do a lot of work (I know...I know... bad idea) right before I go to sleep while in bed late at night. So, I'm generally in pajamas or less and the kickstand, while functional, does tend to mash into my legs and leave a nice attractive line across my thighs when I'm done. Usually it doesn't kill me or anything, but occasionally it gets really uncomfortable, so I just stick it on top of the comforter... but then it wants to slide around a bit. I've thought about coming up with some kind of glue on foam or something to stick on the edge of the kickstand for this reason... but that's still pending. As far as actual performance goes, it's a bit bouncy but not so much that it becomes unusable or anything. I'd classify as better than average for an ultraportable, but nowhere near to what you'd get on a 15" traditional laptop. So... like most things in the SP world... it's a series of compromises. Depending on your personal response to those compromises... you may love or hate the experience.

Last edited:

MHC48

Actually, the original Surface RT pretty much replaced my laptop most of the time. Yes it was a bit kludgy, slow, sometimes difficult to read and limited. I had to switch over to Word or ask people to convert documents for me (my office still uses WordPerfect) and a few other things. But it was worth it most of the time just being able to toss it as the last item into my bag when traveling.

I'm positive the SP3 will not only replace a laptop, but also with the amazing stylus and one click access to OneNote, probably replace a legal pad too. Wish I had this back when I was in college and law school.

BaritoneGuy

Edit: I have had mine since launch day. 8gig/i5/256.

My SP3 has replaced an SP1, Surface 2 and a Lenovo Yoga 2 pro. In my previous world there were compromises that would push me from one to the other.

With the much improved kickstand I find myself removing the keyboard and using it as a tablet. Never really did that with the SP1 due to the weight, thickness and battery life. I would also go to the Lenovo for the larger screen. The SP3 screen is close enough in size and while it has less resolution, the colour accuracy is much better. The Lenovo uses some weird variation of a pentile display that made yellows look terrible.

I am now down to the SP3, Dell Venue 8 Pro and a Nokia 1520. In my opinion my use cases are all covered. Just wish the SP mini was here with the same aspect ratio and pen technology as the SP3 and then the Dell is gone as well.

Last edited:

scfoster

Have had Macs for decades. Currently have a MB Air and lots of other Apple hardware laying around (mini servers, etc.). If I could get Apple OSX in the SP3 form factor I would be in heaven. But, that's not an option so the SP3 Win8.1 will have to do.
Win8.1 takes some getting used to if you're a long time OSX user. The line of work requires proficiency with Windows so the transition was manageable. The most missed feature is tapping the space bar on a doc to bring up a preview.
If you're willing to be more active in managing your disk usage, the SP3 should suit your needs. The 128GB SD card makes a huge difference. That's where all the "temp" movies and other files go, which take up a lot of space.
If you require reading glasses, then the SP3 screen will be painful to use vs the MBP.

Dan Wells

I've noticed that I'm not the only Mac to SP3 switcher on here... First-generation Retina MBP to SP3 after 30 years of Macs! I absolutely love the pen-tablet functionality - the only other machine that will do that is a Wacom Cintiq (most versions of which are horribly expensive input/display devices, NOT computers with pen input/display). The Cintiq Companion is equivalent to an SP3, but twice the weight.
Apple is seemingly abandoning the creative professional market - they are becoming a cell phone maker that sells a few computers on the side for history's sake... When they bought Beats by Dr. Dre, another rumored acquisition had been professional photo software (and hardware) maker Phase One. While photographers had been hoping for a Phase acquisition and a revamped version of Aperture using Phase technology, what we got was Aperture being discontinued and a huge, high-profile bet on pop culture.
The only Apple software I was using when I switched was Mail and Safari - everything else was Adobe and Microsoft. I really don't notice Firefox as less useful than Safari, and, while I'm still getting used to Outlook, I think I'll end up liking it just fine.

BobG

My job supplies me a new top of the line Lenovo. It's terrific, as laptops go. But at home it only comes out of my bag if I need to VPN into work.

Liam2349

It has replaced my laptop. I was never big on laptops because they are non-upgradable. I made an exception for Surface last year - the last time I bought a laptop was about 8 years prior.

I decided Surface to be worth it because of all the functionality it offers, and my SP2 was very useful at uni, so I look forward to seeing how my SP3 furthers that.

If I didn't get a Surface and I was looking for pure performance, I'd probably just get an alienware.

gdir

My SP3 completely replaces my Galaxy Note 10.1 (2012 model) that I used as note taking device. I also own a Dell XPS 15 (2014). Because of the SP3 I won't use the Dell too much in the future.

InspectHerGadget

I use this in place of my MBA 11 and a cheaper Windows 8 laptop I used previously.

I don't think anyone would spend this much money on one if they thought that it wouldn't replace their laptop.

I think it is a good laptop replacement. Sure, the keyboard and operation isn't quite as smooth as my MBA but it is Microsoft and it is very compact and close enough that I won't be reaching for the MBA.

I think with the SP2 though it is more difficult to replace a laptop due to the smaller screen. That screen is really the biggest factor in the SP3 being a suitable laptop replacement.

The SP3 also does handwriting which is a trick the other devices I used can't match and I like it and I use it every day.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Without a doubt it has replaced my laptop. Probably to a great extent my nexus 7 tablet too. Love the versatility of the device. It absolutely flies along editing in lightroom and photoshop for photo editing. Love it.

InspectHerGadget

Without a doubt it has replaced my laptop. Probably to a great extent my nexus 7 tablet too. Love the versatility of the device. It absolutely flies along editing in lightroom and photoshop for photo editing. Love it.

I'm not selling my iPad Air and it hasn't replaced that. It would have to have a 12 hour plus battery life to even consider that. Size is also a factor.

I use the iPad Air at night when lying down or in bed and the SP3 gets used at other times and during my work day on jobs.

unruledboy

definitely for my wife, she uses it for all kinds of daily usage, all good. much faster, lighter, a lot easier to use