What's new

So how many of you settled with a 64 GB Pro?

I have read many posts and blogs talking about driving 500 miles or patiently waiting for a Pro. But, how many of you Pro owners settled for a 64 GB because you just couldn't wait for the 128 GB to show up I stock? I ask from the perspective of someone who passed up a stack of 64 GBs and is still waiting with a Best Buy pre-order pending....

polbit

I did, with $40 64Gb card MS Store offered, but I'm really tempted to get the 128. To be honest though, I have everything installed that I need right now and still have 17Gb free. Knowing me though, I'll end up with the 128...

johnknee

I picked my 128GB Surface Pro on Friday after submitting my business card (one week prior) to the Microsoft kiosk. If you have the funds, I would wait for the 128GB version as the internal SSD memory can't be upgraded. The micro-SD, when inserted, acts like a mass drive and doesn't pool with the onboard main memory.

BillJ

I bought a 64 gig unit, and I don't feel like I "settled". I use my Surface for word processing, document management, preparation of presentations; but no video editing, gaming, or CAD. I do have Photoshop Elements (that works nicely with the pen, btw), but I store photos in a 1 terabyte network drive.
After off-loading the recovery drive, and with all of the programs I will be using for the foreseeable future, I still have 20 gigs of space left, as well as the SD slot for document warehousing.
I doubt my life would be more complete if instead I had 84 gigs of empty space on drive C....

polbit

I bought a 64 gig unit, and I don't feel like I "settled". I use my Surface for word processing, document management, preparation of presentations; but no video editing, gaming, or CAD. I do have Photoshop Elements (that works nicely with the pen, btw), but I store photos in a 1 terabyte network drive.
After off-loading the recovery drive, and with all of the programs I will be using for the foreseeable future, I still have 20 gigs of space left, as well as the SD slot for document warehousing.
I doubt my life would be more complete if instead I had 84 gigs of empty space on drive C....

That is my problem though. I installed Office, Visual Studio, Picassa, Minecraft, and few smaller apps. Using the microSD card as local storage and my NAS for bigger projects and music/video, it's fine. It works. However with 18Gb left, there just isn't much room left. I see two issues long-term - I'll have to manage the space (which could be a good thing I guess :) ) and the resale value.

Anyway, just my $.02

lostlogik

Nope, not me. I'm still waiting (one of the "by 3/1 shipments). Thought 64GB would be too much hassle and also resale value.

souldier

For an extra 100 it just seems far more practical to get the 128. I honestly think the 64gb version shouldn't of been included as an option at all. If it works fine for you then that's wonderful

digitalgrafx

I have a 64gb pro...added a 64 gb sd card. Heres a vid on how to install programs onto the sd card. Make sure you get a class 10 card though.

[video=youtube;ccoRddePFIQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccoRddePFIQ[/video]

Hiya Dagon

I was able to snag a 128 today and will be returning the 64. I thought adding a Class 10 SD card, mounting it to an NTFS folder and running Steam and VMWare off it would be more than enough, until I discovered the speed difference vs. the SSD (or heck, even a USB 2.0 drive). It's pretty abysmal. Definitely enough to warrant the extra $100 if you want to play desktop games or run VMs.

OP
G

Grape Jelly

Well, I didn't settle. I have to admin, I was starting to believe Microsoft didn't make a 128 GB Pro and that it was all just make-believe. Well, I'm typing this post from a Pro right now with a type cover. Beautiful device. I'm glad I waited. By the way, after weeks of no product, Best Buy had stacks of Pros, though mostly 64 GB.

dougpaw57

I bought a 64GB and don't consider myself "settling." I created the recovery thumb drive and removed the recovery partition, installed about 15GB of photos, and I installed the full Office 2013 Professional Plus from the HUP program. I also installed a bunch of smaller games and apps from the MS store. With all of that, I still have 21.4GB of space left. I inserted a Class 10 32GB MicroSD card but have yet to put anything on it, probably move the photos there if I start to run out of room. Considering I got the 64GB Surface at Staples with the $75 off coupon they were running, it was more like $190 cheaper than the 128GB model. Mine came to $898.16 including CA tax and recycling. This isn't my desktop computer, it's a highly mobile device and I think 64GB is more than enough for my needs. That said, everyone has to evaluate their own needs.