What's new

So I have my Surface and many things work great but...

wadedickinson

Howdy all,

I've got a Surface RT with 64 gigs, touch and type cover, and I filled a 64 gig sd card with music and pictures and plugged it in. I use it mostly for writing and to tell the truth It's way better with a full sized keyboard plugged in but I don't mind that.

I'm wanting more and I think it's there but I don't really know how to access these things easily. These things are:

1. I'd like to abandon my iTunes account and just use my xbox music pass. It seems kind of klunky and slow.
a. will my music pass downloads be available on my desktop, windows 8 phone, and my surface like magic?
b. can I make my desktop and surface look alike automatically?
c. will this all tie in with my xbox which I really only use for watching dvd's. (its pretty new, bought it when I bought my win 8 lumia 920)?

2. I'm using OneNote to organize all my writing (2 novels saved by chapters and written with ms word, a dozen short stories, and a lot of notes)
d. I can view and edit all this on my desktop and my surface but I can only view it on my phone. Is there a way to change this?
e. Is there a really good OneNote book out there. I think this is a really amazing program but I feel like I know almost nothing about it and its options.

That's all for now, I know it's a lot. I'm new to this forum and would appreciate any help. If you answer please refer to the letters (a, b, c, d, or e) so I can keep up. Thanks!

kristalsoldier

Hi and welcome...

While I can't answer your questions on iTunes and Zune, I am particularly interested in your second point. Like you I write too (formally, that is). I have OneNote 2010 as a part of Office 2010 which is installed on my laptop. I also use Skydrive to have access to the relevant Notebooks. I have a copy of the Notebooks saved on my RT, which are also synced to Skydrive. Beyond that I have not been able to use OneNote to my advantage - though I would like to.

I would be interested to learn how you get along in your quest to use OneNote to your advantage.

Edit: I'll revise my opinion on OneNote. Since my post above (and with Jeff's assistance, among others), I have been able to rework my OneNote setup. It's very good, actually. As Jeff notes below, the trick is not to use the Skydrive local app.

Last edited:

FFX

1. Xbox music app will be updated.
"b. can I make my desktop and surface look alike automatically?" Yes, swipe from the right and enter settings, then go to syncing and activate. If you login with your account on the desktop, it will be setup as your surface.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
1. I'd like to abandon my iTunes account and just use my xbox music pass. It seems kind of klunky and slow.
a. will my music pass downloads be available on my desktop, windows 8 phone, and my surface like magic?
Answer: My understanding is you can acess your Music Pass from up to 5 devices

b. can I make my desktop and surface look alike automatically?
Answer: As long as they are all running Windows 8/RT and using the same Microsoft Account as well as trusted, (Under PC Settings – Trust this Computer)

c. will this all tie in with my xbox which I really only use for watching dvd's. (its pretty new, bought it when I bought my win 8 lumia 920)?
Answer: Yes – as long as you are using the Same Microsoft Account on the Xbox, you’ll want to install the Xbox Smart Glass App from the Store

2. I'm using OneNote to organize all my writing (2 novels saved by chapters and written with ms word, a dozen short stories, and a lot of notes)
d. I can view and edit all this on my desktop and my surface but I can only view it on my phone. Is there a way to change this?
Answer: check here : Using Microsoft OneNote Mobile | Windows Phone How-to (Canada)

e. Is there a really good OneNote book out there. I think this is a really amazing program but I feel like I know almost nothing about it and its options.
Answer: Start here: What's new in Microsoft OneNote 2013 - OneNote - Office.com

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi and welcome...

While I can't answer your questions on iTunes and Zune, I am particularly interested in your second point. Like you I write too (formally, that is). I have OneNote 2010 as a part of Office 2010 which is installed on my laptop. I also use Skydrive to have access to the relevant Notebooks. I have a copy of the Notebooks saved on my RT, which are also synced to Skydrive. Beyond that I have not been able to use OneNote to my advantage - though I would like to.

I would be interested to learn how you get along in your quest to use OneNote to your advantage.

Are you using the local copy on your RT or the SkyDrive stored version? If the local they may be your issue with OneNote MX.