What's new

So I just encountered the unresponsive type cover issue....

Turbo4AWD

Apparently this issue occurs with the Surface Pro 3, 4, etc as well.

I was using my type cover earlier tonight to get some stuff done online when suddenly the lights on the keyboard cut off. I tried disconnecting/reconnecting the keyboard and STILL nothing. Ok, fine, I reboot the computer....computer starts running slower than usual so I enter tablet mode and immediately scan for infections with Malwarebytes, etc. Nothing found, but the scan was slower than usual. I shut the computer down, turn it back on. Keyboard STILL doesn't light up. I plug the keyboard into my old Surface 3 and immediately it lights up.….wtf.....

Do some searching on "the google" and find that every once in a while this happens and you have to just shut the computer down completely, then hold volume up and power for like 10 seconds until you see the windows logo. The bios screen comes up. At this screen, if you try to move the mouse or press the up/down arrow keys on the keyboard, you will notice that it works again AND they keyboard is now lit up.

Wow, what a scare....at least I know what to do next time I witness this issue! Thankfully it was not a virus!

I didn't see this tip anywhere here in Surface Forums, so I figured I would post about it. Hope this helps more members that may experience this issue.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Sorry about that problem, @Turbo4AWD , but thanks for posting.

The procedure you just described is a "Cold Boot" .

Are you using Windows 10 Version 1809 ?

Cold Boot??? How is that a Cold Boot? Entering the BIOS is entering the BIOS. Booting up is booting up. lol. I'm not sure "Cold Boot" is what you think it means.

Yes, I am on Windows 10 Version 1809.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
A "Cold Boot", also known as "Hard Restart", "Cold Start", or "Dead Start", clears the RAM and caches, and allows the BIOS to issue the bootstrap instruction to the CPU. On your Surface, the sequence you used cleared the RAM, cleared the cache, cleared all IO interrupt registers, and entered through the equivalent of the BIOS, UEFI, prior to the next step, a mere “Boot”. Inconceivable.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

A "Cold Boot", also known as "Hard Restart", "Cold Start", or "Dead Start", clears the RAM and caches, and allows the BIOS to issue the bootstrap instruction to the CPU. On your Surface, the sequence you used cleared the RAM, cleared the cache, cleared all IO interrupt registers, and entered through the equivalent of the BIOS, UEFI, prior to the next step, a mere “Boot”. Inconceivable.

The sequence I used ALSO is meant for changing settings for how the system powers up. Does it access the hard drive in the computer or does it try to check the network and boot to that? Does it boot to a CD rom? USB?

My point is, you can clear RAM and Caches WITHOUT entering the BIOS by just shutting down the computer and then waiting 40 seconds, then powering it back on while booting straight to Windows. THAT is the definition of a "Cold Boot".

HOWEVER, if I enter the BIOS, I'm trying to make a change to the how the physical hardware is operating and THEN, entering the OS after I had made said changes to how the hardware operates.

BIG DIFFERENCE

WARM BOOT is when you hit "restart" and the computer never completely turns off, it just restarts the Operating System and returns to Windows or whatever operating system is installed on the machine. It does NOT clear RAM or CACHES on the computer because it was never cleared out....because the system was never completely turned off.

This is important because now you are misleading people with misinformation regarding how a computer operates and are creating CONFUSION for other members in this forum regarding the different ways a computer restarts.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

I hope your typecover is working again.

It's working now thankfully. I even saw someone today with a Surface Pro 3 and told them that if their type cover ever quits responding, just hold power and volume up, then click "exit" to exit the BIOS screen and boot to windows with a working type cover.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Glad this “Hard Reset” worked. This cleared the cache and RAM similar to a soft reset on a smartphone. Since it worked, your hardware is probably okay.

jason ricardo

i have the same issue but the reset has not assisted. i have updated all the software and firmware with no joy. My SFP4 is not detecting the cover at all and the driver is no longer listed in the device manager ...... any suggestions

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure the connectors on the keyboard and the Surface are clean. Grime or debris can build up on them. If the keyboard doesn’t get power, the missing driver would not be reloaded by Windows 10.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

i have the same issue but the reset has not assisted. i have updated all the software and firmware with no joy. My SFP4 is not detecting the cover at all and the driver is no longer listed in the device manager ...... any suggestions
Out of curiosity. If you get into the BIOS screen, does the keyboard light up or respond to pressing the up or down arrow? I had a second Surface device to test and make sure the keyboard wasn't the issue. If the keyboard doesn't respond in the BIOS screen portion of the reset, see if you can test your keyboard on another surface OR see if you can try connecting different type cover keyboard to your Surface and see if it responds.