What's new

So, if I go with the Surface Pro 3, which one?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless you are doing something computer related, such as programming, or graphic design, where software is constantly changing with technology, then for any other course, its almost a given that if it works for college work today it will work for college work a number of years from now.

mtalinm

Surface 2 was $300 for awhile but they just put it back up to $450. in that case I think it is worth the stretch to the low-end SP3.

spinachpie

If the RT is meeting all your needs, is there a particular reason you want to upgrade?

It sounds as if the i3 would be the best option for you.

I've had both the i5 128gb 4gb and i5 256gb 8gb and noticed no difference between them as I am not using the SP3 for anything which pushes the device too far.

From the sounds of it, you appear to potentially plan to use it even lighter, and if that's the case, the i3 would be better for you.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
"It's really not my habit to intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning won't be lost or misconstrued
But I'll repeat myself at the risk of being crude

Dell venue Pro 11 is a great value. You can reward yourself with a better system that does everything you want and have money left over for something else.

Microsoft Store Signature Edition Dell Venue Pro 11 for $499 includes Office Home and Student 2013 a $139 value you would have to buy separately since the Surface Pro doesn't include it.

Or step up to the higher performance z3795 model at Dell for 499 without Office
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/dell-venue-11-pro/ftcwd02h

Comparison of Z3470 model to Surface 2
http://www.notebookcheck.net/index.php?id=127065&specs[]=21102&specs[]=18229

Either of these would handily out perform the Surface RT and you get most of the benefits of the Pro at Surface 2 price.

Note: Surface 2 will not get Windows 10 but the Dell will.

OP
B

brocharlieb

GreyFox7, I've looked at the Venue, and I see some things I like. Does it have a kickstand? How does the polycarbonate cables compare to the surface. I've been pretty pleased with the life of my surface batteries, and have not been pleased with Dell's laptop batteries in the past, have they improved?

Thanks.

Nys299

Go for as high a model as your wallet and ego allows.

As for the DELL XPS 13.....yes it is cool and all but it still is a regular laptop and the aspect ratio is still 16:9. For serious work, the 16:9 aspect ratio is just wrong to be productive. That is the reason why many professional model Thinkpads still use the 4:3 aspect ratio. It also definitely will not allow me to work in portrait mode. So even if the new XPS13 was available at the time of my purchase, I would have still picked the SP3. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I bought a SP3 just 5 months after buying a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 (3200 x 1800) and that was a darned good laptop. Can't wait for Holo Lens. With the SP3 and Holo Lens etc, looks like MS is becoming nimble again after years with arthritis.

Last edited: