What's new

So, is anyone removing their Surface Pro from their check-in bag for the TSA?

socos

Next time I fly I know I won't. It's always been annoying having to pull out the ol' laptop into its own tray. They don't require iPads to be removed, so why should the Pro be treated any different? One more hidden benefit of the Pro???

I recently traveled and did not remove the Surface RT from my bag. No problems. I even flew one leg with nothing but my wallet and the Surface. It was nice to fly without hauling a heavy laptop and power supply. The Pro and RT will be no different in the eyes of the TSA.

J515OP

Super Moderator
The Pro might be different because of its slightly larger size (do you really want to argue with TSA?) but I have also left the RT in the bag. It is definitely small enough they see it as a tablet and let it go.

maxthepoke

Next time I fly I know I won't. It's always been annoying having to pull out the ol' laptop into its own tray. They don't require iPads to be removed, so why should the Pro be treated any different? One more hidden benefit of the Pro???

I recently traveled to India with my Surface RT and I pulled it out of my bag to show them and they made me put it through the x-ray machine along with my Macbook. I would say that it depends on the person at security.

OP
S

socos

The only thing that I think may catch their eye is if the type keyboard is attached. I'm sure in an x-ray they'll see something keyboard-like and may throw a fit.

The Pro might be different because of its slightly larger size (do you really want to argue with TSA?) but I have also left the RT in the bag. It is definitely small enough they see it as a tablet and let it go.

kingbobyjr

I will be flying on Sunday and bringing my Surface Pro. I'm curious to see if the TSA at Newark Liberty will require me to pull it out since they have been notorious for letting things go through they shouldn't.

J515OP

Super Moderator
The only thing that I think may catch their eye is if the type keyboard is attached. I'm sure in an x-ray they'll see something keyboard-like and may throw a fit.

For full disclosure I had the touch keyboard attached. I had a laptop in the tray by itself but I ran a Nexus 7, the RT and an iPhone all through in the same bag without any questions :)

I can definitely see the Pro with a type keyboard being seen as a laptop by TSA though.

kkuhia

I flew last week across the country twice (through Dallas, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Seattle) and never removed my Surface Pro from my bag. TSA didn't say anything about the Surface Pro needing to be removed nor did it delay me in any way by them having to re-run my bag through the scanner.

null4end

I will start leaving it in as well. I've been in a hurry each time I've flown with it so far and didn't want to risk having to explain or go back through the line. I frequently flew with my iPad and Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard attached without any issues. This really isn't that much different.