What's new

So long everyone :-)

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Mitch, say it ain't so. Who shall we spar with? I'd like hear your thoughts on the Yoga 2. I must admit it made me do a double take. Perhaps I'll join their forum and see if I can sway you and some other lost souls back to the SP light.

Good luck.

Yoga 2 Pro. Hmmm, screen is amazing. 13.3 and 3200 x 1800? How could it not be. Also for work a much better size for me. Surface Pro at 10.6 is a great size for anyone who is looking tablet first and laptop second. For me though I really needed laptop first and tablet second. The unlimited screen angles? Another plus. I can now sit in bed and see the screen better, something that was a problem with the SP. The weight? Even though it is only 1/2 pound heavier than the SP, the weight is spread over a larger area thus making it feel less dense. Doesn't get hot holding it like the SP either. The keys on the back? Doesn't bug me since I tend to hold a tablet by the edges.

The knock on the Yoga 2 Pro is the problem it has with yellow color. Seems in power saving mode it can make yellows look kind of mustardy. They are working on a permanent fix but in the meantime just setting the tablet to "Performance Mode" in Energy Settings solves the problem to a great extend. Still not a bright yellow but not being an artist or worshiper of the purity of yellow I don't care.

The other knock has been wifi dropping. Have not experienced this. My wifi reception has been better than with the SP. Maybe they patched the problem.

The stylus? Yeah, no stylus. After buying the SP pretty much for the stylus I found I rarely used it. I can just type so much faster and actually read what I typed a week later. Anyway, i can always pick up an Adonit Touch Stylus if I miss it desperately.

So yeah, so far pretty much the perfect hybrid. The $899 sale is over now but they will probably do it again over the holidays. For i5, 128 GB Yoga 2 Pro that is an insanely good deal. The Vaio Flip I had ordered with a similar configuration to this was $1200 and only had a 1080p screen.

One kind of crappy thing is that my Yoga 2 Pro's coating had a tiny 1/8th inch long chip in it on the back right out of the box. But zero light bleed and no dead pixels so I decided to keep it. I'll probably put a carbon fiber skin on it anyway and chips are more tolerable than light bleed.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Glad you found something you're happy with. You will be missed on here, you were... something different
biggrin.png

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

After a week of owning this I am still spoiled. The resolution is just amazing. Did decide to roll the dice and exchange it for one without a nick in the back. I got lucky and this screen is even better than the first. I did buy the Notier V2 Stylus on Amazon which is supposed to work very well with this. I also have an artist's 2 finger glove which helps with palm rejection when writing. So, not an active digitizer but it will do for the small amount of actual writing I do.

Will be curious to look at a Vaio Flip in person (if Bestbuy ever gets them in stock), but I think I would have a hard time going back to 1080p after experiencing Super qHD.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Finally got a chance to try out the Vaio Flip which I always saw as the only major competition to the Yoga 2 Pro. Some observations:

1) It is made of quality materials but something about it just feels cheap.
2) It has quite sharp edges.
3) When in laptop mode you are limited to a pretty steep screen angle, especially if you are sitting in bed and the laptop is lower than desktop level.
4) The screen flip mechanism works well but it just doesn't have the sophistication of the Y2P.
5) The pen works quite well (the glaring miss on the Y2P).
6) The screen is fine for 1080p, but once you have experienced 3200 x 1800 everything else looks like crap by comparison.

I made the right call in buying the Y2P. In addition to match these specs would have cost me $300 more with the Sony.

olimjj

Ok, time to go find a yoga board to hang out.

I would save that comment for a troll, nascent or otherwise. At least with mitchellvi, his comments in my estimation are not disquised and his agenda is not malicious. If no one responds to his posts then HE will decide to leave or not.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I would save that comment for a troll, nascent or otherwise. At least with mitchellvi, his comments in my estimation are not disquised and his agenda is not malicious. If no one responds to his posts then HE will decide to leave or not.

Lol, jacetw, sorry for using up your bandwidth, I'll send you a refund for your Forum Membership immediately :)

dreamliner

I returned my Yoga 2 Pro because I like the Surface Pro 2 better :).

Dropped by BestBuy today to see if the Vaio Flip had arrived to pet and they had a Yoga 2 Pro i5 128 GB 3200 x 1800 13.3 inch convertible on sale for $899. Wow. I simply could not resist. Cancelled my Vaio Flip (which cost $300 more for a lesser config and got the Y2P).

All I can say is amazing. For $899 insanely amazing. Haven't tried it with an external monitor yet but when I do I will just use the external for things where large scaling like Word docs doesn't matter. P.S., The couple I sold my SP to were ecstatic. Nice to know it found a good home.