What's new

So long SP3 friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

eltos_lightfoot

What I guess I don't understand, in all honesty, is why someone who doesn't own or want a Surface device any longer keeps hanging out here? What is the gain to them? When I owned Macs in the past, I didn't hang out on TabletPCForum.com, I hung out on Mac sites. Trying to learn more. I am not hating, just honestly curious...what is the benefit?

tuchas

Quite frankly, not only am I very offended by some members' "commentary", it shows that they don't really appreciate technology as a whole. I am a Apple fanatic. But I am also a Windows fanatic, and Android fanatic, a Linux fanatic, etc. The point is that in order to appreciate tech, you have to have an appreciation for ALL things tech. I'm not talking about cheap $49 tablets. I'm talking about high-end technology and gadgets.

What attracted me to the Surface Pro line was its uniqueness - the blending of tablet and laptop technology. And the SP3 may have some bugs, but it truly is in a class by itself. More and more I am using it as my primary laptop. And last night I detached the keyboard, went in my living room and played a few games and watched a few TV shows. All on ONE device.

I have a MacBook Pro Retina. It is also an excellent machine. But does it have touch screen? Or a pen? Or a removable keyboard? No. It has a larger SSD and is faster, but not so much faster that it makes a difference for me, even for development (now if I can just figure out why my conversion from a Parallels VM to a VMware VM rendered my connectivity to SQL Server useless). So in the end, considering how much traveling I do, the SP3 will be the perfect machine for me.

So with all due respect, I don't appreciate it when a member tells some of us to go back to "Macrumors" or some other site. Those of us with half a brain will drop by all of these sites, including this one. 'Nuff said.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OK All...deep breath and lets make sure we are keeping this civil, we can disagree and even debate and I don't mind joking and friendly ribbing but lets not cross the line into hurtful, disrespectful, etc.

This goes from all sides of this thread....Keep Passionate but Civil

Thanks....

CreativeLemming

What I guess I don't understand, in all honesty, is why someone who doesn't own or want a Surface device any longer keeps hanging out here? What is the gain to them? When I owned Macs in the past, I didn't hang out on TabletPCForum.com, I hung out on Mac sites. Trying to learn more. I am not hating, just honestly curious...what is the benefit?
Maybe people hang out after returning to keep in touch about latest developments so they can make an informed decision should he re-purchase or upgrade in the future. Unless you're suggesting that surfaceforums require you to input your surfaces serial number before registering :)

ipaq_101

A big part of this forum is also helping others, not just constantly complaining and saying how awful a product has been under your own set of expectations. One might think that is informing potential buyers, but in reality it is most likely turning them off. That is why you have so many people coming out a defending their lawn, or whatever was said earlier, because that is also informative to users.

Buy the SP3 for it can actually do, not for what you wish it can do. Marketing is marketing, is it a laptop replacement, well yes, is it a gaming machine or a high end laptop replacement, no. There are trade-offs in everything, a $2000 high end machine will also not be as portable as the SP3, will it?

Apple deemed that we are living in a post pc era as ipads were taking over all sales half a year ago, did you see their latest quarter earnings? Ipad sales have been declining for consecutive quarters now and PC sales have been improving again. Don't go on marketing slogans alone, you will always be disappointed if you do.

In truth, the SP3 launch was not perfect, far from it. However in a month almost everything has been fixed and for what I use the SP3 for, it works exactly how I want it to now.

Kif

once I receive my i7, I'd give microsoft 30 days to fix the throttling issue, if not I'll return it and check back when sp4 comes out. disappointed to see the i3 version outperformed i5, this is a big mess.

You might as well not even bother because it's not an issue it's a design choice. Read the quote below from Anandtech. If you don't agree with the design choice you're surely going to be unsatisfied with your i7.

" in tablet or laptop mode it's definitely going to throttle quicker than Surface Pro 2 did. I must stress that I don't think this is necessarily a bad idea. Surface Pro 3 improves usability over Surface Pro 2 by leaps and bounds, and it's still faster under load than the original Surface Pro. All of this comes at the expense of reduced sustained performance. As you'll see from the rest of our tests, peak performance did get better over last year's model."
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8077/microsoft-surface-pro-3-review/3

bkydcmpr

You read about one custom benchmark out of 15 other tests anandtech did and somehow you have the i3 outperforming the i5?
from what I read, I knew the "one custom benchmark" is the one closest to the real world high performance benchmark. the other tests? they don't need continuous high computing power. if you don't need that power, what's the point to pay more for a high end cpu in the first place?

kundas1

^^ ya right! you've OBVIOUSLY never been the recipient of an apple fanboy attack... not pretty. And from what I've seen in this thread, everybody has seemed refrained... A little excited and touchy but nothing compared to an apple fanboy!!

macmee

Don't wanna start a big thing here but please don't call yourself a tech god if you think this cant replace an ipad. or anything apple really

Well it certainly can't replace a macbook for everyone, particularly where you:

1. prefer OS X
2. prefer battery life (macbook air has 11 hours+)
3. do iOS development (huge deal breaker for me)
4. want something relatively bug free

Love my surface but in the 4 categories above, it fails miserably.

Kif

Well it certainly can't replace a macbook for everyone, particularly where you:

1. prefer OS X
2. prefer battery life (macbook air has 11 hours+)
3. do iOS development (huge deal breaker for me)
4. want something relatively bug free

Love my surface but in the 4 categories above, it fails miserably.

Why would you buy a Surface knowing those 4 items? I personally do not care for OSX therefore I would never buy a Mac. Funny thing is that I'm actually sort of an Apple fanboy because I love IOS devices and have an iPhone and iPad. However I've supported enterprise deployments of Mac 's on multiple occasions and it's never rubbed off on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.