What's new

So some quick i5 or i7 advice? Return the i5 for i7.

Ms.Dos

The best test is to do your regular stuff.

For me it's ever so slightly snappier on office work. But it really kicks in on audio and video encoding. That's why I upgraded to the i7. Now, the tradeoff is that when I do this it generates more heat and probably sucks more power (I haven't measured battery drain so I can't say for sure).

This is likely why Microsoft keeps the processor in check. So you don't have to pay the extra cost in heat and battery life when you don't need the extra power. Which is most of the time.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I5 PassMark 2018
CPU 3967
2D Graphics 556
3D Graphics 508
Memory 1902
Disk 3042

ymmv

Note: i5 SP3 with nothing attached except power
Its slower running on ext. monitor with DisplayLink Dock but you'd expect that its DisplayLink :)

Bandito

I just ran PassMark on my SP3 Core i5 with 8GB RAM and got a score of 2155! And that was after the program warned me that my machine was running on battery and that it might impact (reduce) the score.

It really does look like these machines are all over the place performance-wise.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just ran PassMark on my SP3 Core i5 with 8GB RAM and got a score of 2155! And that was after the program warned me that my machine was running on battery and that it might impact (reduce) the score.

It really does look like these machines are all over the place performance-wise.
Ah the dangers of crowd sourced benchmarking ... non standardization. I'd wouldn't worry about anything with less than 10% variance. even then ...I got around 1620 running with a DisplayLink monitor vs 2018 without. Correction/addition that score with DisplayLink monitor was 1520 with TWO DisplayLink monitors :)

One person is uncomfortably hot others not so much ... However with throttling the temp isn't going to vary that much really. some of this you have to take with a grain of salt. you can do 9 hours of continuous active web browsing and forum participating other things will be less, usually for a reason.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just downloaded Passmark few min ago. I ran the test, overall score on mine is 2170. it would be interesting to see i5 score.

i7/256:
Overall : 2170
CPU Mark : 4282
2D Mark : 687
3D Mark : 602
Mem Mark : 1771
Disk Mark: 2159

Anyone with i7 can post the memory and disc? Mine numbers seems low?
Can you look as your Passmark System config? Does it have anything listed for memory in the This Computer column? (it doesn't on mine). What does it say for the disk? mine says Samsung ... but they may not all be the same.

I'd run it a gain after rebooting... make sure you don't have anything else running or connected and switch to Airplane Mode.

Bandito

Sorry, I should have posted all the numbers originally. They are as follows:
Overall - 2155
CPU - 3924
2D graphics - 636
3D graphics - 570
Memory - 1733
Disk - 3758

@double07, it looks like your disk score is very low and that would hold your overall score down. The other numbers look about right.

@GreyFox7, my summary also shows nothing for the memory. My disk shows as HFS256G3AMNB-2200A, which appears to be manufactured by Hynix. According to the PassMark hard disk benchmark it is one of the slower SSD drives, but mine tested up much higher than their average speed. Kinda weird, but I'll take whatever I can get performance-wise.

Akairu

So, I just ran Passmark and I seem to be getting a bit lower score than everyone here on an I7.
Is this something I should worry about?
The overall score also seems to fluctuate quite a bit, ranging from 1750 to a little over 2100.
I should ad that for the most part I have let the system cool to its idle point before running each test.

Passmark Scores just ran on i7 256GB, no power plug, warned me about it running on battery power. Here are my scores:

Overall: 2314
CPU Mark: 4385
2D graphics: 699
3D Graphics: 661
Memory Mark: 1739
Disk Mark: 2878

Akairu

Also, to everyone that has run a Passmark bench on the I7, have you all updated to the latest firmware?
I am interest to see if that effects the score as many of you have said you are testing right out of the box.

Also, to everyone that has run a Passmark bench on the I7, have you all updated to the latest firmware?
I am interest to see if that effects the score as many of you have said you are testing right out of the box.

Mine I believe is on latest firmware. I updated yesterday with all available updates, late last night. Just ran my Passmark posted above.