What's new

So what is the 'NEW' Surface device that will be announced

Afy

In London on the 30th?

The Surface Pro LTE, and Surface Book 2 in 2 flavours have both been announced? So what is this secretive new device that Microsoft is going to announce?

The only thing I can think of is the mystical Surface Phone a.k.a miniature Surface Pro that allows voice calls.
Or maybe a Surface based on Atom? But I don't think this will be the case since RT did not go down well.

Now I am quite curious.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
An ARMy of Windows 10 ARM Laptops/devices ... and likely a Surface ARM device of some kind maybe more than one with battery life greater than one or two days.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wouldn't ARM require a resurrection of RT? I think that would be a bad idea.
Nope, it will be magically delicious and run Full W10 and X86 Apps.

RT was actually great but hamstrung by MS heavy handedness trying to force developers into the UWP box but it's all a moo point now.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Predictions -
Surface Studio Refresh
Surface WOA Device

Personally I hope that they move away from worthless AIO desltops and just release a surface monitor that you can plug anything into. I can understand something like a surface pro not being upgradable, but you've got to be rather daft or not care about money to buy an AIO desktop. Utter waste of money.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I hope that they move away from worthless AIO desltops and just release a surface monitor that you can plug anything into. I can understand something like a surface pro not being upgradable, but you've got to be rather daft or not care about money to buy an AIO desktop. Utter waste of money.
AIO are still big business in Agencies, Civil Engineering, Product Development - especially if they use the Surface Book specs this time...

We have 2 Surface Studio devices and they are in high demand by our creatives.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
A big reason is that AIO machines have a trendy and cool vibe to them. There is no denying they're great at launch, but quickly become obsolete. Only way I'd ever buy one is if it can be used as an AIO, or just a regular screen if it pleases you. It's bad enough something cheap becoming obsolete, but with the studio you have paid a serious chunk on the money on the screen, which is tied into (let's face it) fairly average hardware. I imagine if that screen was sold separately then every graphic designed in the business would probably consider one. I don't know sales figures, but I imagine the studio is not that hot a seller.