What's new

So what is the real impetus to upgrade to 4?

bluegrass

1. Thirty percent faster CPU.
2. 16 gig memory is possible.
3. 1 terabyte SSD is possible.
4. New & better pen with color choices.
5. A very slight increase in screen real estate.
6. Slightly thinner.
7 New and maybe better GPU.
8. Anyone have any others?

If I'm doing fine with the speed, memory size, & disk space of my SP3 Pro, I don't feel a strong need or deisre to order a SP4 Pro. If I did decide to purchase one, I would purchase the i7 16 gig 512 gig model.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a tough one. There was so much potential new hardware etc available that just hasn't shown up. I was really wanting type c usb

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
9 Definitely better GPU. both Broadwell and Skylake made GPU improvements over it's predecessor.
10 New and better Touch Cover with better TouchPad and Fingerprint sensor.
11 Higher resolution.
12 Runs cooler and quieter.
13 Very slightly lighter weight mostly with the core-m3 model.
14 Windows Hello Logon

zhenya

It's enough to be compelling, but not so much to get me to upgrade my SP3, although I will probably go for both the new cover and the pen because they both are updated with exactly the kind of changes I've been pining for. Another year or two and I can assess whether the larger Surface Book is a better fit for me...

OP
B

bluegrass

I was surprised with the Surface Pro Book announcement. Microsoft has been selling the Surfaces as a laptop replacement in one breath and than announcing their first ever laptop.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
15 Thinner Display stack means better Touch and Inking
16 PCIe 3.0 SSDs means faster disk performance and overall faster system performance.

Compusmurf

New pen and type cover with fingerprint reader, new dock all compatible with sp3, so those won't qualify as "must haves" only for the sp4. :)
Faster CPU, GPU, lower temps and mem/drive options are all BIG qualifiers tho.
I'm undecided on the actual device, I will be getting the new type cover and pen for my 3 and will make future decisions later.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
And it was even stated that the fingerprint reader was specifically for the sp3 owners, because their cameras aren't hello capable

nForcer

I may upgrade as I am still using the original SP and could use the updates to speed, size, and improvements. Hoping that there may be some type of upgrade opportunity (read trade-in) to move from the SP to the SP4 or SB. Can always have hope. ;-)
Going to the local MS store this evening to talk and see what they know.